Periodic Overheating Solved

Welp! This is a lesson for them as like me - the jumping in before looking types....
Eng Temp gauges was creeping up, then stabilizing. Sometimes dropped
back down, other times, kept going to almost full scale.
I followed all the troubleshooting info, had radiator and regular mechanic both look at it, plus used my own vast encyclopedic (hyuk hyuk) knowledge....
First did the easy things -- r/r thermostat, flushed radiator. Cooled down but still not stable. Replaced fan clutch. No change. Replaced radiator - cooled down more but still not stable.
Finally, removed the connector to the temp gauge sensor, cleaned the terminals and am now in fat city. Back to normal again.
Fortunately for me, the radiator & fan clutch were warranty replacements. Only cost was coolant and a 10mm socket that was missing from the tool box.
Hope that helps some other poor soul. Check the meter first....
On Mon, 7 May 2018 12:16:01 -0700, "Newgene McMensa" <newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com> wrote: >Welp! This is a lesson for them as like me - the jumping in before looking types....

You did all the hard (and obvious) stuff first.
I ALWAYS verify a problem before attempting to fix it.

looking types....

back down, other times, kept going to almost full scale.

mechanic both look at it, plus used my own vast encyclopedic (hyuk hyuk) knowledge....

Cooled down but still not stable. Replaced fan clutch. No change. Replaced radiator - cooled down more but still not stable.

terminals and am now in fat city. Back to normal again.

replacements. Only cost was coolant and a 10mm socket that was missing from the tool box.

Yes, but you're a real mechanic. I just work on these vee hickles when I need to escape from the lovely wife's rolling pin. I have slept many hours underneath that Ford.
On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 3:17:53 PM UTC-4, Newgene McMensa wrote:

You can't fool me. That 1997 Aerostar is not under warranty.

looking types....

back down, other times, kept going to almost full scale.

mechanic both look at it, plus used my own vast encyclopedic (hyuk hyuk) knowledge....

Cooled down but still not stable. Replaced fan clutch. No change. Replaced radiator - cooled down more but still not stable.

terminals and am now in fat city. Back to normal again.

replacements. Only cost was coolant and a 10mm socket that was missing from the tool box.

Shhhhhh... not so loud. It's bin a lot better than I ever expected. Orig radiator and fan clutch lasted 17 years. Got 4 years out of this Autozone $106 special.
Whoever invented fan clutches orta have his frejoles shot off at high noon.