motor oil questions

I have a couple of questions regarding motor oil that hope someone could address:

1) I have a Honda mower that the manual specifically states needs either SAE30 or 10W30 meeting API SJ or better standards. The only oil I could find locally was Mobil 1 "advanced synthetic" and, on the back, says something about meeting SL/SM/SN standards. Would this also meet SJ? From what I gather, the later second letter listed already covers anything earlier (for example, since "L" in SL is later than J, the oil would be fine). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2) I noticed a supposedly better Mobil 1 grade in a gold container which on the back says it guarantees 15,000 mi oil changes. I've never heard of this, always changed oil between 3,000-5,000 mi intervals. Is this oil that good?

Thank you.

Reply to
JBI

Either a troll or a dummy

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why? I'm just trying to ask a couple of questions here about oil. I thought a mechanic or similar might know whether SL meets/ exceeds SJ. Also, I haven't change my own car oil in years, but got the ramps to do it this Summer and I am considering that Mobil 1 high grade type if I can confirm that it really is that good between oil changes. Do you have an answer other than sarcasm?

Reply to
JBI

Ok, never mind, but I will be courteous and post the answer to #1 in case other "dummies" don't know:

For #2:

Difficult to say, but googling tells this "dummy" to continue changing at 3-5K intervals on his high mileage vehicle.

Questions answered by a "dummy" but initially responded to by an "a**hole".

Reply to
JBI

Your statement that the only thing you could find for your Honda mower was Mobil 1 advanced synthetic is what tripped my Troll Meter. Yes, SL excedes SJ -0 and just about any conventional engine oil you can buy today is SJ or better. It was ths standard way back in 2001.

You can buy it at any service station, hardware store, or convenience store with a gas bar, or any auto parts or farm supply - as well as any small engine shop - - - -

the 15000 mile interval is totally irelavent to a lawn moer, particularly one without a filter.

For a car it depends how fast you put the miles on. 15000 in 6 months

- no problem.

In a year - pushing it.

I'm a retired mechanic and I change the oil on my vehicles twice a year, using synthetic. My vehicles are 16 and 22 years old.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Ok, thank you, that's more like it. The reason I couldn't find anything but Mobil 1 in the particular store I visited was because only the Mobil

1 had the API marked on it that I could see. The others of course found online, but when I'm at the store and don't have Smartphone or tablet....

Yes, found out since, especially since online search revealed way more than just Mobil carrying this oil.

Well, now that was a separate question more out of curiosity than anything else plus I am planning on changing the auto oil myself soon. I spotted Mobil "gold" and on the back said a guaranteed 15K between oil changes (I was originally going to use this for the lawn mower while I was looking for lawn mower oil).

My car is 18 years old and I put about 1K/year on them if I'm lucky (retired and don't drive much), so I guess that rules out the 15K oil.

Reply to
JBI

TOTAL waste. For your use a standard synthetic would already be overkill. If you are someplace like Florida where the temp doesn't change much one change a year would be fine. In North Dakota or anywhere the temp changes a lot between seasons, 2 times is better.

If you driving is all short trips (not up to operating temp for at least 20 minutes) change twice a year regardless - and unless synthetic is specified, standard oil is more than adequate.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Ok, will continue to stick with the standard oil then. I'm sorry for MY sarcastic response earlier as I can now see why you wondered about the questions.

Jon

Reply to
JBI

SNIPP

No problem - just that we've got at last one nym-shifting idiot frequenting the group who asks these "stupid" questions - and then argues with any replies

He is both a troll AND an idiot

I'll gladly answer any question that appears to be legitimate and well thought out.

Reply to
Clare Snyder