Police interceptor?

Hello all:

I'm just curious- what is the engine being used in the Crown Vic cop cars these days? Is it a modified 4.6 (in which case, what did they do to it where can you buy those parts) or is it still a version of the 351 with a carb on it? I assume it's a 4.6, but if it is, it can't be any of the standard versions in Vic and Marquis, and it's certainly not the Marauder version, so what is it?

Chris '97 Maquis '82 Mark VI '89 E250

Reply to
Chris Nagorka

I'm pretty sure it's basically the same 4.6 in any regular CV. The main difference is they use a dual exhaust system and a modified computer that ups the idle speed about 100 rpm. Between the higher idle speed and the 200 amp alternator it will put out over 100 amps at idle. If there is any other difference Ford doesn't mention it at their police vehicle website.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

it is a 4.6,the same thing you get in any other crown vic or grand marquis.the only difference is dual exhaust for 15 more hp. the marauder uses the mustang dual overhead cam supercharged 4.6

Reply to
Falcoon

The Marauder engine is not supercharged. It is DOHC and is rated at 302 hp (versus

239 for the SOHC with dual exhausts as used in the PI). I think the Maurader engine is the same basic engine as used in the Mustang Mach 1 (not the supercharged Cobra engine).

Ed

Falco> it is a 4.6,the same thing you get in any other crown vic or grand marquis.the

Reply to
C. E. White

The Marauder has the 3V heads, it is not supercharged, only the Cobra has the blower.

mike hunt

Falco>

Reply to
MelvinGibson

i'll chime in on this one. here are the facts. i own 5 mustang GT's one with nitrous, 2 town cars with the tow package and just picked up a police pursuit crown vic. even though the spec sheet says that they have a speed cutoff at 130mph, i was told that this unit would bury the speedometer of 140 mph and was good for 170mph. i didn't say anything to the person that told me that, but highly question what they said to myself. it was a western united states police pursuit. i do not drive the high end speed, but i like the torque these cars deliver.

i also own a car lot for 10 years and have drive some pretty fast cars of various makes, so when i picked up this police pursuit, i was curious what the hub-bub was all about. i took it on a 1000 mile trip. it got

23 mpg at 80 mph and used no fluids. i pulled out from a rest area and was doing about 35 mph. it had a semi pass me doing at least 75 and realized that i better get my speed up or get ran over, so i did punch it that time. at the time i punched it, our bumpers were even, but as the car gained speed, i never fell back to the back wheels of the tractor rig when the car matched his speed and pulled away from him.

got vehicle home, i have a two block hill i use as a guide line for performance. like i said, i did not use speed because if it can perform going up the hill, then it will definitely perform on the straight away. here's the results of my test. i was doing approximately 15 mph, when i floored it. it rapidly accelerated through first gear and caught second. but here's the difference. it is a 4000 lb body - like the towncar with a 4.6 when it caught second gear, it turned the car sideways with the 16" tires spinning and it was on dry payment. no loose dirt on roadway, oil spots, etc.

so, from my test to myself, i would have to say that the police pursuit performs as good as the some of my mustang GT's enough so that i think i'm going to stock a couple on the lot. you can have the performance, but the insurance will be cheaper.

also, in 1999 and up, the crown vic came with 3.55 gears, which gives them even better torque. the one i picked up was a 98 with 3.27's.

hope this information helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional

Reply to
c palmer

The Marauder is DOHC with FOUR valves per cylinder. It has a different intake and airbox than the cobra. The engine is aluminum (cobra is not) It is NOT supercharged from the factory.

Gourm

Reply to
Gourm Hardee

Vehicles that come from the manufacture with 'Z' rated tires do not need a speed limiter. 'Z' radial tires have a top speed of rating of 240 MPH. The Interceptor has 'Z' rated tires as standard equipment. The 2004 Mustang GT and the Interceptor will both top out at around 145 MPH.

mike hunt

c palmer wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

In addition to things other people mentioned, I think they have a different final drive.

Reply to
Bill 2

I know, I meant to type 4V. The 2003/4 Cobra is indeed blown, at

390 HP. The 2005 Mustang has a SOC 300 HP THREE valve aluminum 4.6L V8. The standard engine in the 2005 Mustang is a new SOC 210 HP 4.1L V6

mike hunt

Gourm Hardee wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Tires are not the problem with the "panther platform" cars. Crown Vics (including PI's) Grand Marquis, Marauder, and Town Cars all suffer from driveshaft wobble. This is because of the long length of the shaft. The only exception is the '99 and 2000 police Interceptors which use a Metal Matrix Composite shaft. Extended speeds above 120 will tear the back end out of the transmission with the stock steel and aluminum shafts. As a result, Ford has put a limiter on 2001 cars and up at

127mph, even on the PI and the Mararuder with 3.55 gears. 3.27 gears will give a few more mph before the wobble, 3.73, 4.10 and 4.30 gears get progressively worse. A new shaft and chip will fix the problem pretty easily, although not cheaply.
Reply to
Gourm Hardee

Mike, you are right. Should be an exciting time for the modular engines..

Gourm

Gourm Hardee, Huntsville, Al Please reply to gourmAThardees.org

Reply to
Gourm Hardee

You certainly are entitled to your opinion but I can tell you our fleet service business we 'get ready,' deliver and service Interceptors for the Pennsylvania State police, and those of five other eastern states. I personally have driven 2003/4 Interceptors on Pocono Raceway at speeds up to 140 MPH, they do not have a speed limiter, nor did I ever experience any shaft anomalies..

mike hunt

Gourm Hardee wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

The Marauder has the 4 valve DOHC heads (see

). And theLightening has a supercharged 5.4L engine (as will the new Ford GT,5.4L DOHC Supercharged and intercooled).

Reply to
C. E. White

A Z rating implies a maximum speed rating in excess of 240 kph, 149 mph, not 240 mph.

According to the 2004 Michigan Police Vehicle Evaluation, Ford PIs come with V rated tires (good for 150 mph). This is confirmed on the Ford web site. The tires are P225/60VRx16 All-Season BSW.

Also according to the Michigan Police Vehicle Evaluation, the top speed of the 2004 PI was 129 mph with the 3:27 rear end gears. With the 3:55 rear end gears, the top speed was only 118 mph. Both the Impala (123) and Intrepid (135 mph) had higher top speeds than the

3.55 PI. The Intrepid was faster than either PI. However, in the road course testing the PI and Intrepid were tied, and the Impala was slightly slower.

In past years, believe the PI had higher top speeds, but I have never seen a test showing them coming any where close to 145 mph. I also believe the Mustang GT is only able to approach 140 mph. I never got mine that fast, but it is the highest speed I have seen in a test for any Mustang GT. The Corbra isn't limited and I think can do over 150 mph - but I don't actually know.