Possible Egr valve faliure or what else

I have a 1996 Mercury Tracer 1.9L motor, 2 weeks ago it sounded like the egr valve was making a pinging / knocking noise. well on a saturday morning on the way to work i drove about 10 miles from home and the pinging got louder the i came to a stop sign, drtove of got up to 60 mph and the engine just shut of. It will not restart at all. it does not have any codes already hooked it up to snap on solus, has fire so it is not coil pack, timing belt is not broke, already put new map sensor on its not that, it has good fuel pressure to rail...so could this be the EGR valve causing this?? ??????????

Reply to
amandaandtommy

I doubt its EGR-related. If the EGR were not functioning you might not pass a smog inspection, but not sure how it would prevent your motor from starting.

You verified that you have spark and fuel, so what else is missing from the equation?

Reply to
sleepdog

what else is there??????

Reply to
amandaandtommy

and also weird part is i can go out there press gas serval time and hold it and it will act like its trying to start then back fire.

Reply to
amandaandtommy

Try to check the sensor. if not check timing belt may have jumped a couple of teeth.

Reply to
ledpeddle

Compression....

Reply to
El Bandito

Regarding auto repair? Tons of stuff...

But getting back to basics, thermodynamics 101: Spark, fuel, ....AIR!!!

My unqualified guess would be flooding out due to lack of air flow, I would inspect the idle air control valve and circuit. Maybe crank mode from the PCM isn't actuating the solenoid when you turn the key. Maybe the IAC is so dirty the solenoid cannot move. Hard to tell from here.

Clean the IAC with some carb gumout... try starting with the IAC unplugged from the harness, might get lucky identifying the problem area.

Home mechanics 101: poke and hope!

Good luck, sleepdog

Reply to
sleepdog

You probably have it nailed. The 1.6 Escort/Tracer motors(mid to late 90's) had problems with valve seats falling out and disabling 2 or more cylinders. The common scenario is: the vehicle runs fine, Park it overnight. Start the next day and it would start, run rough, then stall. After that, it may run on 2 cylinders or not at all.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

do you think that the Idle Air Control Valve would stop the engine from starting at all.

Reply to
amandaandtommy via CarKB.com

Not if you know the alternate start procedure:

Accel to floor sends less gas, if no start: pump accel lightly sends more gas

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Which would account for the 'pinging'

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I think an engine needs three things to start, spark, fuel and air. My guess is no air in your case. And unless your throttle body is sealed shut by a gelatenous mass of an unidentifiable substance, I would start with inspecting the IAC.

In my readings of Ford service manuals I think I recall coming across a sentence or two describing crank mode of the IAC circuit, which is full open solenoid (full voltage applied) for a few seconds after ignition is successful until the idle calms down to normal, AKA "fast idle". In addition to starting one this feature is also designed to help cold engines get warm.

Pull the IAC and clean her out. Connect the solenoid to the car battery with some test leads and observe the response. Tell us what you can find out. If my guess is way off the mark, let me know.

Reply to
sleepdog