Qustion about Using 2010 Edge USB Port to Charge a Cell Phone.

We have a new Pantech Breeze II cell phone that is charged via USB cord. The provided USB cord attaches to 110 AC to DC adapter. I wonder if the same USB cable that connects the phone to the AC->DC adapter can be used in the USB port provided in the 2010 Ford Edge. I worry the voltage out of the USB port may not be controlled. Maybe a better solution is to buy a regulated adapter that can be plugged into the cigar lighter.

Reply to
aRKay

As a USB port, the voltage should be within the guidelines of all USB ports, be they in cars or in computers. I don't see where you should have any problem at all with it.

To quote p49 of the owner's manual: "This feature allows you to plug in media playing devices, memory sticks, and also to charge devices if they support this feature. For further information on this feature, refer to Accessing and using your USB port in the SYNC supplement or Navigation System supplement."

Reply to
SC Tom

The voltage from the USB port will be very well regulated to 5 volts DC. That is an important part of the USB specification.

Reply to
clare

I will give it a try. The normal cell phone charger has circuits to protect from overcharging but the cable alone should be good for quick charge.

Reply to
aRKay

I use my USB port in my car (Ford Focus) to charge my iPhone all the time. Never had a problem, except when I used a cheap USB cord (it just wouldn't charge).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The USB provides 5 volts to the charger built into the phone, which controls the voltage and current to charge the 3.7 volt Lithium batteries in the phone.

Reply to
clare

Shouldn't be a problem. But it may take longer to charge. The USB spec defines how it outputs the power. You home charger may be an 'enhancement' of the spec, just for charging purposes, that allows higher currents. Most 'generic' USB ports don't, and limit the current to about 500ma. Chargers can go to 1A, 2A, or even more for some Apple devices.

Reply to
Mike Y

I tried it and it worked but I found and ordered a normal Pantech Breeze

12v charger for $5. It is a little more regulated and but the USB port did work
Reply to
aRKay