Radio Volume goes crazy? Maybe a short? (mini-van)

We have a Winstar mini van, 4 years old. Most days when I listen to radio the volume all of a sudden goes full volume (or sometimes off). In the summer time I had a different problem. The radio station would switch all of a sudden to a different channel. Or it would switch from cd to radio, all on it's own. Could a short in the wiring that going to the speakers, cause such a problem? This van has been in a medium front end collision (damage in the rad and bumper area), and has been fixed. As far as I know there is no wiring relating to the radio that goes anywhere neat the front of the van. I would like to find the least expensive way to fix it. If it is a short, I could take out the radio unit and see if I can find a short. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
lbbs

Do you have radio controls in your steering wheel? Could be a faulty sender.

Bad ground on radio could cause it to do the same thing.

Reply to
Phrederick

Hi, Does this radio have a digital or analogue (rotating knob) control for the volume? It would help the group if you could give more specific details about the set itself ( Makers name model No ) I think there is a loose or temperature sensitive connection inside the set although if it's all digital the bad connection just might be outside, It's not likely to be anything to do with the speakers. If there is a short in the speaker wiring then the output amps will burn up. Best of Luck, Pete

Reply to
RubbishRat

I am not sure but I think it is digital. It has a rotating knob and a digital display that shows number of notches of volume you are at. It is a wind sport 2001 with no more warranty. Not sure of model number of radio, I would have to take the radio out to actually see the model stamped on the unit. So what you are saying is that most likely if there is a short, it would be somewhere near the ratio, but not in the wiring going to the speakers. Any tips how to locate a short? I guess it could be something obvious like a visibly loose connection or could be something else less obvious.

temperature

Reply to
lbbs

the volume control a shot of electrical cleaner and see if that fixes it. Maybe a bad power or ground connection but no way will the speaker wires do this. pull it out of the dash, with the unit on wiggle the plugs on the back and see if you get lucky and find it. GL

Reply to
Scott M

A short will not cause a volume increase, at least not where you are wanting to look. It sounds more like you have the opposite of "a short" and most likley in the unkown radio unit itself. (on both problems) Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

and buy a new stereo

Reply to