Ranger vs. Explorer

What year was it that the ranger split from the explorer.

Howcome they made this split? The explorer styling of today looks much better than the ranger... not sure what they did to the drivetrain.. maybe its the same?

Reply to
Picasso

In 1993 and 1998, when the truck was redesigned.

In 2002, Ford came out with a new Explorer line, but no major changes for the Ranger.

They invested more money in the Explorer than the Ranger because they thought that Ford would get a better return on investment.

The 4.0 L V6 engine is the same one as the one in the Explorer. I don't know if the transmission and other drive train components are the same.

Jeff

I'm sorry I wouldn't call that a redesign, everything from 93-present will fit panel for panel on the body except the grille and hood.

Funny they offer the V8 in the explorer but on the ranger.

Reply to
Picasso

The first major split came in 1995. The complete divorce was after

2001. The current Explorer is unrelated to the Ranger except they both are available with the 4.0L SOHC V-6 (but then so is the Mustang).

The Ranger, Explorer and Mustang also share the same automatic transmission behind the 4.0L V-6.

There is not room in the Rangers engine compartment for the 4.6L V-8. You can, with some work, shoe horn a 5.0 push road engine in the engine compartment of a current Ranger.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White