1990 F150 4x4 How to shift into 2WD

I just bought a 1990 Ford F150 4WD 4X4 pickup truck w/manual trans. I cant figure out how to shift the 4WD into 2WD. I can shift from 4WD High to Low by pulling the lever toward the front of truck or the seat. Neutral works, but the handle shows to move the lever to the right to go into 2WD. I cant get it to budge. Is there some trick to this? I sure cant figure out how.

I have been driving a 1979 F150 and that was an automatic. It shifted differently into 2 or 4wd mode. These newer trucks have so many more gadgets. It took me 10 minutes to learn how to remove the key from the ignition. I am thinking there is some sort of button or something I have to change, push, pull or ??????

Or do i need to unlock the wheel lockouts first? I dont have the truck home yet, so I cant try all these things, but I thought I would just ask. If you can give some advice, please do.

Is there's a website to help?

Thanks

Alvin

Reply to
alvinamorey

I'm pretty sure 4 high is on the fly that year, it was in my 92.

i could go to 4H from 2 at city street speeds , although i almost always went to neutral.

from 4H to 4L you had to be stopped in neutral (and from 4L to 4H in neutrail as well)

but between 4H and 2H was always on the fly for me (if youw anted it to be)

Reply to
Picasso

Thanks for the help. I solved the problem. It turns out the indicator drawing on the knob was put onto the knob wrong. The shift is straight forward and backward, not to the side. Who would have ever suspected someone turned that thing........ The knob itself dont turn, that drawing pops out and can be rotated....

This was a really stupid problem. Guess I was not the brightest either.... LOL

Alvin

Reply to
alvinamorey