Re: 1993 Crown Vic -- heater core -- help ??

Hi! Just noticed my windows steaming and I assume its the heater core- can smell the antifreeze. Have read the good info on removal - my question is - will just leaving heater off keep me from the steaming of the windows, or do I have to disconnect the core? thanx, bob d.

Reply to
ignatz

disconnect and bypass... best to keep the circulation in the heater hoses, so just hook 'em together

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi! I did that - just got the Ford authorized instructions for taking the core - out - what a mess! I have go to believe that a careful cut in the bottom of that big plastic cover under the dash might get access. Does that sound feasible? thanx, bob

Reply to
ignatz

No dont cut holes. You must remove the heater box. You can remove all the bolts on the pass side(bracket near hump and kick panel under the dash) holding the dash and pull it out on that side. A 2x4 wedged in between the door jam and the bottom of the dash is enough to hold it out enough to remove the heater box (dont be afraid to pull on it hard, if it doesnt want to move you missed a bolt or two). Also, remove the glove box completly right away, it makes it easier to see. Being it is your first one, it will be a major pain in the ass, but it can be done without removing the whole dash and putting it in the back seat like the book says :)

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

OK - thats fine - will try it and see how it does. thanx for all help . bob

Reply to
ignatz

OK - have got the bolts out and will try to put the 2x4 between the door jamb, and I assume the edge of the dash- dont see any bolts holding the heater box in - does it just pull out? thanx, bob ps there was a delay because we have had some warm weather, but now back to the 20's! bob

Reply to
ignatz