Re: Detroit stuff IS crap

Reply to
razz

If you ever were a Toyota mechanic you must have been fired shortly after being hired (minutes later?) for your Detroit attitude toward customers.

As has been noted here-there are a LOT of *former* Detroit customers out there that, when buying a car, would never think to consider a Detroit product after being treated so shamefully by them. Detroit has shot itself in both feet repeatedly and has brought the ongoing disaster on themselves. Toyota and Honda quality is the average with an occasional blip whereas Detroit's "quality" is sub-standard on average with an occasional blip up.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

themselves.

Reply to
razz

You were a Toyota mechanic for many years. Were you also a Ford, Chrysler, or GM mechanic so you have something to compare to? I was a Toyota mechanic for 12 years of the 25 I spent wrenching for a living. I was also an AMC and Mazda and Jeep and International Trucks mechanic, as well as working in general repair, where I got to work o and see it all. Was Toyota perfect? Nope. They had their issues - most of which were shared with the other manufacturers of the specific time period.

Body rust (when fords crumbled at the curb) brake rotor issues(when asbestos was legislated away- and everyone had trouble) some radiator problems (when plastic tanks were adopted by EVERYONE, and they all had failures) They had some first model year issues like everyone else

- but all told, they had fewer problems, and TMS/CMI (Toyota Motor Sales /Canadian Motor >>

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You are in a state of permanent denial and are paying the price-drive Detroit and lose.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Reply to
bigjim

Here in the "rust belt" you could sit in small town Ontario and listen to the Fords rusting. Three year old Torinos with the mirrors and doorhandled falling off, with chunks of metal attatched.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I owned a couple of Torinos and Montegos. I owned three Pintos, '71,75,79. I put over 150K trouble free miles on the 75 and 79 then gave them to my relatives who put another 100k on them. I still own the '71 that cost me $1,885 in 1970. 300K on the clock still looks great, all original interior, and drive train. I repainted it in 1988, just did a C & V job a few moths ago. It still blows the doors off the Jap cars that like to race me on the mountains round here. It always wins awards, in it class, at old car shows. By the way I seldom if ever see any old Jap cars, except for a low mileage 'Z' or RX7 on occasion, at any of those shows ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

At least they lasted two years longer than the Jap cars and trucks of the day LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually, NO. The Toyotas, Datsuns and Hondas DID rust, but not the same way, and usually not as quickly, believe it or not. FIATs rusted faster, for sure. Not the same kind of rust, but faster and more serious.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Fiats rusted in the holds of the ships on the way over. Jap cars rusted away after two year in the rain or one bad winter LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That was when you were in your forties, Mike. Today, Japanese cars (both the ones made in the USA and the ones made in Japan) last a long, long time. They don't rust away any more.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff