Re: F-350 Pickup, Triton V10, Puzzler

You might have a speed sensor that is starting to go bad, or has a bad spot in it. The computer needs the vehicle speed info to determine the shift points. You might want to have that looked into.

Tim

I've got a '99 F-350 pickup with 57,000 miles, automatic transmission, and a > V10 engine that exhibited a strange symptom just one time. It was having > trouble or hesitation shifting into second. The shift was delayed, and when > it did shift in, it clunked in hard. I noticed also that the speedometer was > saying 0 miles per hour the whole time. Interestingly, when I parked the > car, and restarted it a few minutes later, the problem was gone and has > never come back after having now driven it at least a hundred more times. > Any ideas what this might be and whether it might come back? > Thanks, > - Jeff Napier >

Tim Schoell

Tim Schoell opined in news:wnhYa.83803$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

I owuldnt bother.. it IS gonna go bad but I am a cynic. If you take it in with that complaint, you'll pay a diagnosis fee that comes up empty or they'll replace the TSS and not necessarily fix it.

You're better off waiting for it to happen a few more times or fail solidly.

A crap shoot but it could happen ANYWAY.. if they said they DID replace the TSS.

Could have just been a bad connection.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Is the speed sensor an easily replaced external component?

- Jeff -

Jeff Napier

Jeff Napier opined in news:ZbCYa.62527$ snipped-for-privacy@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

It should be .. since it's a truck. If you've ever seen or hooked up a speedo cable on a trans, you know where to look.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thomas Moats opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Anything to get the answer...