Re: Is Ford Running on Empty?

It has specifically not been called a "Cobra" by Ford, it is titled the Shelby GT500. It does not use the GT engine. It is a cast iron 5.4 block (the GT uses an aluminum block) with aluminum heads from the GT.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALLY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

Horsepower

500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)

Torque

480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)

My Names Nobody

Displacement differences are made up by fuel injection, superchargers and turbochargers, and the electronics systems that allow maximum spark advance to be used because of the knock sensors. Quite simply, the stock autos from the late 60's and early 70's were not producing as much power as these new cars.

Magazine test data that compares the old and new cars has repeatedly shown that the old cars were not actually as fast as many people think.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Can you take one of the new dodges, slap a set of 10 inch drag slicks, and a set of slapper bars on it and pull the front wheels off the ground? The 70 cuda's and challengers would do just that. with the 426 hemi , dual four barrels and four speed tranny. Stock off the show room floor turn 1/4 miles in the low 13's at 104-113 mph . Car and Driver tested the 2005 300 with the 5.7 and turned consistent 14.4 1/4 miles times, which is not a shabby time by any means, but it aint a low 13 ether, and the 2004 Pontiac GTO beats it at 13.3, with a 4.8 , again as tested by C&D.

The hemi is a good engine, but dodge is pushing it like its a 426, and it aint, and many buying it don't know no better any ways.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The tests that I saw showed the Dodge SRT-8 Hemis turning the 1/4 mile in 13.4 sec @ 105 mph.

That is done with the tires that were on the vehicle when it left the dealer.

The SRT-8 is more powerful than just a regular Hemi equipped vehicle.

Reply to
Mark Jones

The young folks today have no idea of what we did on the racetracks in the old days. Cubic inches and torque was the name of the game LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Tires!

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Those things drove poorly, though, you have to admit if you've had the pleasure. 80/20 weight distribution isn't going to be the hot ticket, and they've all bit the dust. The Seville is still around, back to rear drive. I had a couple of Toronado daily drivers for years. Nice car, but drove like a pig.

I agree with the general direction of lymee's post - GM makes too many jellybean-type rental cars. Bad for their image, at least in my mind. Ford makes a lot of them too, to be fair. When the big 3 bought their rental car companies back years ago, I guess you could say there was an image cost to that.

Reply to
Joe

I think you better just give up this whole line of reasoning.

I'll take 400 net horsepower over a 426 any day. Even if the superior performance of new Chryslers is all tires, I'll take it just because of the tires too. And the gas mileage, and the build quality, and the electrical system, and the air conditioning, and the body stiffness, and the handling, and the durability, and the emissions, and the seats, and the radio. Can't think of a thing about the old Hemis that was actually better. I never even liked the styling.

Reply to
Joe

How about this? A new hemi Charger is worth what, about $35-$40K? A '60s vintage Mopar in decent shape with a hemi is worth well over $100k.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:30:44 -0400, Joe rearranged some electrons to form:

Ford no longer owns Hertz, but they are providing these:

I was in Boston this week, and Hertz had FOUR of them on their lot. I would have rented one, except they wanted $200/day, and I would have had trouble justifying that on my expense report. :-(

Reply to
David M

Next to women, this is the next best thing

Reply to
Picasso

Imports sell to rental car companies too, they are just not as successful at getting many fleets to buy their vehicles. The Korean do a better job of doing that. The Koreans have a larger share of the fleet courier cars business than the domestics, Europeans or the Japs. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter