Re: CARFAX?

Thanks, all (for kicking my lazy butt). I'm replacing the timing belt (and water pump) tomorrow. Even tho my '95 Tracer has the
typical 1.9L (88 hp) non-interferance engine, I don't know if it has ever been replaced (@ 98k mi.).
The expense and inconvenience of having the car towed / belt changed – should it break during my 1,400 mi. round trip to Presque Isle, ME next week – would be way more than doing it now (not to mention missing at least a day of fishing w/my brother).
From FORD MOTOR COMPANY website:
"Does a broken timing belt permanently damage the engine of a 1991-96 Ford Escort / Mercury Tracer?
"It depends on the Engine in the car.
"1.9L SOHC engine (SEFI on Valve Cover), no. They are non-interferance engines. Put a new timing belt on it and go.
"1.8L DOHC engine, yes. It can destroy the valves, head, pistons, and, ocassionally, the block as well. These engines are interferance engines, where the valves just barely miss the piston as it comes up. When the belt breaks the pistons will hit the valves. This can destroy the engine. "Less than 5% of these models were sold with the higher compression 1.8L interferance engine installed. Customer negligence in following the 60K mile timing belt replacement schedule for the 1.8 resulted in misconceptions about the reliability of the 1.9L engine as well." Thanks again,
Jeff (the one from Connecticut)
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 26, 12:20 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (jeffry gagnon) wrote:

It is a bit inconvenient if it breaks as you're doing 65 mph on a highway with two 18 wheelers on your tail. Particularly if you are in a rural area, and a volunteer fire company has to retrieve your body. It just ruins their afternoon.

Add pictures here
✖