Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

I think you had some problems with your math.

GM = 26.8 %

Ford = 17.9 %

Chrysler= 14 %

Toyota = 13.7 %

Honda = 8.9 %

You stated above " Toyota and Honda a distant fourth and fifth. " Honda may be a distant fifth but Toyota is almost even with Chrysler, unless you consider 3 tenths of one percent * distant*.

Reply to
Mike

Beats me, you would have to ask Toyota if the would like to sell 160,000 more vehicles to 'catch up' to Chrysler. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The US market in 2005 was 16,500,000 and Chrysler had 2% more of the market than Toyota according to the Commerce Department figures.

Perhaps you are wasting you time hanging out in the NGs, you should by buying lottery tickets and stocks or better yet get into the commodities market with all of your insight. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Still having problems with your math, I see. Three tenths of one percent would be 49,500 vehicles. That's a far cry from the "distant fourth" that you claimed. Why do you need to skew the facts to try and make your point ?

Reply to
Mike

No need to do that, simply use the figures reported by the Commerce Department of the total sales in 2005. ;)

No mater how some like to spin it, no Japanese company outsold any domestic company.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, I doubt if you have ever taken a course in college statistics. Even if you are 100% right, it means nothing in relation to what is referred to as the bottom line e.g. (profit vs loss). GM (according to the news media) may go bankrupt in the near future. Honda and Toyata are not having any problems related to the bottom line. Their profits are in the black. GM's profits are in the red. Also--what's the total number of models made by GM? What's the total number of models made by Honda?

Reply to
Jason

Uh Mike. . .Toyota and Honda are clearly a distant fourth and fifth to GM. You printed the numbers yourself. GM had 26.8% , while Toyota and Honda had 13.7% and 8.9% respectively. I'd certainly call that a distant fourth and fifth! Neither English nor Math must be your forte' or you'd know that Toyota and Honda should be compared to the leader, not the 3rd place manufacturer.

Reply to
Cool Jet

No matter how you spin it, you're a bald-faced liar, "Mike".

Reply to
dizzy

In the world, not only the US.

Reply to
dizzy

Nice snip. I'll include the entire post so you may improve your reading comprehension. You're not related to Mike Hunter by chance, are you ? If you compare it your way *everyone* is distant from GM. Why not say GM is first and everyone else is a distant 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc....... The figures show Chrysler and Toyota almost tied.

I think you had some problems with your math.

GM = 26.8 %

Ford = 17.9 %

Chrysler= 14 %

Toyota = 13.7 %

Honda = 8.9 %

You stated above " Toyota and Honda a distant fourth and fifth. " Honda may be a distant fifth but Toyota is almost even with Chrysler, unless you consider 3 tenths of one percent * distant*.

Reply to
Mike

Gee Mike, you really are thick, aren't you? I thought you were merely feigning naievety. Here in North America, everyone strives to be 1st in everything we do. Whether it be hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball, auto racing and yes, even auto sales. If we happen not to place first, we then compare our position to the 1st place team. Not the 3rd! But hey, maybe you use different parameters when you consistently place 4th or 5th. Maybe then you find solace in comparing yourself to 3rd place!

To put it another way that you might understand Mike, "GM is first and everyone else is a distant 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc....... ". *guffaw*

*chuckle* *snort*
Reply to
Cool Jet

Here is my source. Where is yours?

DC sold about 2% more cars than Toyota last year (2,304,833 vs

2,260,296) but their market share was virtually identical.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Gee, and I previously posted:

a difference of about 44,500 vehicles. Isn't it funny how we are so close on our figures and Mike Hunt is so far off.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I see english isn't you're native language, sorry about that.

Reply to
Mike

How about seeing Honda on the Infitis?

Reply to
Eric Toline

dizzy AKA Stupid, Troll, Idiot, Moron etc GM is number one in the world as well.

mike hunt

"dizzy AKA Stupid, Troll, Idiot, Mor>

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Low quality low-priced cars.

I used to own a Cavalier.

Might be a good commuter car for the wife, but in the long run it proved to be a piece of junk.

Same can be said of my '95 'Tour

my '86 Renault 5 was more reliable :)

Reply to
El Bandito

The poster is right: You should not top post. Make sit hard to follow threads.

GM is #1 right now, but it looks like Toyota will soon be #1:

And Toyota's market share is increasing.

Reply to
Jeff

(...)

Total profit = profit per car X volume. If a company is losing money on each car it sells, it will lose even more if it sells more vehicles.

Your statement doesn't make sense.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'll try to remember that advice from our friend dizzy AKA Stupid, Troll, Idiot, Moron etc next time I post, OK? ;)

mike hunt

Mike Hunter