Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Please explain to us how you know what buys 'need?' What is better taking ones family and all of their stuff in one seven passenger SUV, or using two small cars to get to the same destination? I believe you are simply confused, around 55% of the new vehicles sold in the US are light trucks and SUVs. The greatest percentage of Toyotas Motors (Sales) increased sales over the past five years has been in light trucks, including SUVs not cars. They know what buyer want today, as well. Camry sales were actually at their highest in 2004.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Common sense and reality are not Mikey's strong points.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

If you'll note, I said it was my opinion. An opinion means it's mine, and not necessarily yours. It also means it's not stated as a fact.

I've raised two sons with all the associated sports, schools, etc without the "need" for an SUV or mini-van. That fact is what I base my opinion on. Everyone is free to choose what they want as well.

I believe you are simply

The fact that 55% of the US population (I assume you're correct -- although around here, it looks to be an even higher percentage) buys trucks, and SUV's does not change my OPINION that many of those purchasing them don't need them. It also does not change my opinion that the higher gas prices will reduce that number substantially -- further eroding the big three's market shares.

BTW, the fact that our opinions don't match does not indicate that I am confused.

Reply to
Lee Florack

You noticed that too?

Reply to
Lee Florack

I suspect that if fuel prices continue to climb, the used-car market will get to be sufficiently saturated with SUVs that the things will become real bargains to acquire. They'll become affordable to people who'd like to have them as actual utility or occasional-use vehicles (like, say, for ski trips or runs to Ikea), as opposed to daily drivers. I certainly wouldn't mind having one for that sort of use.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

I would never ague with a persons opinion, you certainly entitled to your own opinion, but GM SUV sales were up for the first quarter, not down. Toyotas newest vehicles are SUVs as well. I was only asking how you knew people that own SUVs do not really need them when you said;

I agree with you if you don't need an SUV don't buy one. I don't, I prefer and own large and sporty cars with V8 engines myself. If you had two or three MORE children you may have 'NEEDED' an SUV, but that is just my opinion. When I was young I had five children and we had to take our two

1947 Plymouths whenever we all went somewhere. My oldest son had five children as well and he could have used an SUV but SUVs were not on the market in the sixties. He had to buy a conversion van.

Today my one granddaughter has four children and owns one of those 57K seven passenger SUVs. When they go on a trip she even has to put on a roof carrier to take the six of them and all their 'stuff.' You may think SUV drivers care that much about the price of fuel, however take notice how many you see in gas stations that have a higher price posted than one across the street. Personally I drive into the one with the shortest line, preferably one that charges more per gallon to pump the gas for me.

Seems to me the people that are hardest hit by rising price, gas or whatever, are those that can only afford to buy used cars or small cars, not those that buy new expensive vehicles.

What I find strange are those that are inside the connivance store complaining to the lowly clerk about the $40 it cost them to fill the tank in their Corolla with premium gas, then walk our with a twelve pack of bottled water and a carton of cigarettes that cost them $50. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I don't KNOW it. It's my opinion. It's a pretty strong one, but it's still an opinion. Now, I base that opinion on many observations. One of them is that I somewhat rarely see anyone actually use the space or the off-road capabilities -- except for contractors, etc. I also see an awful lot of them running around with only one person in them. That's not an SUV-only phenomenon, but at least with a smaller vehicle you're not eating so much gas. Again, these are only my opinions.

I only had two children so I can't say for sure that I wouldn't need an SUV with three, but my opinion is that I still wouldn't get one.

I'd agree that five children would be a problem with a 'standard' vehicle. Depending on your beliefs, five children is a choice too.

My car requires premium so I am not overly concerned (obviously) about getting the cheapest fuel.

Everyone makes their own choices based on what they want or need. Sometimes, those would not be my choices but them we get more to talk about.

Reply to
Lee Florack

That statement makes me wonder even more why you said; >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ... when over half the buyer in the US are choosing the light trucks and SUVs want or need, if that is your opinion? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

This isn't really that difficult a concept to grasp. I'm saying they don't NEED SUV's. They may WANT them. They may buy lots of them. But they don't NEED them. (Of course, that's my opinion.)

OK?

Reply to
Lee Florack

You would have saved a lot of trouble, if you would have said, in my opinion, I think, or I believe, anything that would indicated it was your opinion rather than expecting anybody to believe that you actually know that most people do not need SUVs. That was why I asked the question how do you know most people do not need SUVs? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I think you need to reread what I wrote.

Reply to
Lee Florack

He said it was his opinion before he even stated it. But I think it is a fact. Most of the people who drive the big SUVs would be better served by a more efficient vehicle, like a minivan. About 80% of the big SUVs driving around are performing missions which could be accomplished by a subcompact.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Actually your granddaughter would be better served with a minivan than an SUV. More room inside and better gas mileage.

Too me the SUVs are the Country Squire station wagons. When the next trend comes along the public will wonder why they drove SUVs. Remember the "personal luxury cars of the 70's?

M> I would never ague with a persons opinion, you certainly entitled to your

Reply to
Dave

Perhaps if some manufacture made a V8 mini-van. When one lives in mountainous country they need a vehicle that can perform safely while loaded. Around here the Toyota dealers stock mostly V6 Camrys, because the

4 cy models can't do the job very well.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That my be your opinion, but the people that are choosing to buy SUVs obviously do not agree with your opinion.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You mean this; >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ...?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, My niece and her husband have only one child. They have a SUV. If you saw them in their SUV, it would be easy to assume that they should own a car or mini-van instead of the SUV. However, their home is located about one mile from the state road. They have to drive on a dirt road and across a bridge in order to get to their home. In the winter and during rain storms--the dirt road becomes muddy and the bridge becomes very slick. You should NOT assume that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them. I am certain that MOST of the people that own SUVs have excellent reasons for owning an SUV instead of a van or car. This is NOT a communist country. People have rights to buy almost any type of vehicle they want to buy. Jason

Reply to
Jason

I would not assume anything, I agree, the buyer is the only one who know what the need. That is why I asked the question, 'how do you know the do not need them' when the post said, >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ...? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I sure did say that it was my opinion. Thanks for noticing :-)

Mike seems to think that since many people purchase SUV's -- indicating that they WANT and LIKE SUV's -- it also indicates that they NEED them.

Reply to
Lee Florack

Yes, but you cut out the many times I said that it was my opinion.

Reply to
Lee Florack