Re: Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine...

> You need to watch Toyota, they cut corners in subtle ways that end up cost > the Customer many extra dollars down the road. As incredible as it seems, > many Toyota engines don't use hydraulic valve lifters and require very > expensive routine valve clearance adjustments. This probably saves Toyota > $50 when they build the engine and costs the Customer hundreds when they > have the valve clearances inspected and adjusted

While I agree toyota does cut corners as you say, this is not a good example.

I have a '95 Subaru legacy with hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs) and its not the best idea ever. Search for the Tick of Death (name doesn't really fit as its not extremely harmful to the engine). HLAs are notorious for sticking (not pumping up) and causing a tick that eminates from the rocker arms. The engine contines to run, probably

90-95%, but annoys the hell out of the driver. Also causes excess fuel consumption and performance loss, as the affected valves have a lull period when they should opening.

There are reasons why toyota doesn't use HLAs, and IMO, they're fairly valid. I'd criticize their less-than-sturdy suspension. Take a pry bar sometime and push down on corolla ball joints, the support arm just bends.

Reply to
rootcon

As incredible as it seems,

It certainly is a "good idea". Just poorly executed.

Yes, with the sludging problems they have, hydraulic lifters would be a very bad idea.

I'd criticize their less-than-sturdy suspension. Take a pry bar

Reply to
Hairy

What sludging problem? I know at least 6 other people with '98-'03 Toyota Siennas similar to mine and no one has reported problems with their engine.

***
Reply to
dh