Re: weird electrical prob in Taurus

> I just replaced a thermostat in a 96 Taurus and while refilling the > radiator, a little water splashed over the accessory side of the engine. > When I went to start the car, it cranked for a second then the solenoid just > clicked. The strange thing is that the motor for the power door lock > started running continuously in each door. Only when I manually locked each > door did it stop. Now(the next day), the starter solenoid still clicks and > the power windows and locks don't respond, but if I unlock a door manually, > the motor for that door will run. The interior lights and radio still work > fine. Where should I start troubleshooting?

get some contact cleaner and start spraying it in the area where you spilled the antifreeze....that along with dirt might just make an electrical circuit and might give you the problem you have...... the electrical contact cleaner might just wash it off and the problem will go away.....

Reply to
jim

It isn't the battery. I've tried a new one with the same results. I actually think it is a problem with the car alarm/keyless entry system. Besides the starter not cranking, the alarm system and power door locks are acting up. I've also noticed that whenever I turn the ignition, the clock on the radio resets. The clock and radio work normally until I try to start the car. I can't find a wiring diagram for the alarm system anywhere. It came from the factory but there isn't a schematic in the repair book I have.

Reply to
Supima

One more thing i would try is to reground the main underhood grounds. Follow the black negative cable from the battery to the engine. Unbolt it, clean off the connector spade, and firmly reground it. Do the same with the engine to firewall ground strap. And any other under hood ground straps you can find.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

It was the battery after all! The 'new' one I tried was faulty too. As soon as I dropped in a known good battery it started right up. I don't mind working on mechanical things, but electrical problems are frustrating. Thanks for all the help. Matt

Reply to
Supima