Headlight Electrical Question

The right headlight on my 300D 2.5 keeps going out. The bulb is fine. The cause seems to be that the plug which the bulb plugs into has rust in its slots. I can get the headlight to work for several days by working the bulb's prongs in and out of the plug vigorously about twenty times. But then sooner or later, the headlight goes out again.

I'll have the cable replaced eventually -- that can hopefully be done without replacing the entire wiring harness. In the meantime, is there some product that can be sprayed into the plug's contact slots to remove the rust and improve the quality of the connection?

Thanks, Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Ugh.

but you can bet MB didn't use any of this stuff when the car was new and it's lasted 20+ years so far, right?

Sounds to me like you simly need to take the connectors apart, sandthem with 400 wet and dry till they're nice and clean and shiney, then dab a bit of dialectric grease on them and it should be fine for ages.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Absolutelty. I'm not complaining, though; I just want to fix the problem in a reasonably cost-effective manner. I'll see if I can find some of this stuff, and some dialectric grease as well.

I don't think I can get at the contacts. The plug resembles the end of a household extension cord; it's a solid piece of molded, soft plastic with the contacts recessed inside slots.

Update on the SDL's door-check problem: Had the door check replaced last Friday, and now all is well. The mechanic showed me the old part. The rollers were cocked at about a 30-degree angle inside the track, due to my having to muscle the door closed so I could drive the car home when the door jammed in the open position. Now it opens and closes like new.

Thanks, Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

We had a similar problem with our 420sel. We simply clipped and replaced the electrical connection. You can purchase one at Auto Zone.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

Did you try spraying electrical contact cleaner in the connector, then working the bulb on and off a bunch of times?

Reply to
trader4

I have eurpo lights with removable ceramic bases so mine won't be the same as yours. But you should be able to replace the thing the light plugs into if that's the part that's messed up.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Auto parts store should have "tune up grease".

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Found it -- and got a can of contact cleaner at the Radio Shack in the same strip mall. Ten bucks each for a small can -- ouch! But they seem to have fixed the problem. Thanks again to all who responded.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Have you tried "Deoxit"? I think that it is available at Fry's. If you can't find it there give me a ring at home or my cell. I'll send you the numbers by e-mail.

Geoff Miller wrote:

Reply to
Paul Elliot

DeoxIT is the best stuff. I've tried just about all the contact cleaners out there. You can use a whole can of a "contact cleaner" and not solve the problem. One or two quick sprays of DeoxIT and it will work every time. They have a great site,

Here are a couple of links for good info:
Great stuff!

Reply to
shaqtopz