a/c not working

99 Escort compressor not engaging (except every once in a while in the morning for a short while.) Checked the CCRM. Pin 21 has voltage, as does pin 22 when the air is off. When I turn it on, pin 22 goes to 0 volts. The info I have says if pin 21 has voltage and pin 22 does not, then the computer has grounded the relay to prevent compressor operation. The computer is sensing an engine performance problem and will have to be diagnosed and repaired for clutch to work. The motor seems to be running fine.I did plugs,wires,fuel filter and fuel injector cleaner.No help. Any ideas what I should look at next?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Reply to
endorf

endorf opined in news:HEw2b.12535$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Then the answer might be to have the codes read out.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks. I was assuming the codes would only show up if the "service engine soon " light comes on. I guess that will teach me to assume. I'll have to find someone with a reader. Thanks again

Reply to
endorf

I had the mechanic at work look at the codes and it didn't detect any. Someone else said to check the " wide open throttle" relay. Any idea where this is and what I am looking for?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
endorf

endorf opined

Thats the relay you've been describing...in ccrm.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic