rear suspension system

my 1992 ford crown vic the rear all the air seemed to go out and the rear is setting down however the front is still pumped up what could this be air lines compressor the switch in trunk or the shocks them selves

Reply to
kathyj

d) all of the above...

Need more >my 1992 ford crown vic the rear all the air seemed to go out and the rear

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

The C/V is air in the rear only.

On a vehicle this old, it is rarely economical to repair the rear air system. Get a set of "Cargo" Coils and be done with it.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

You don't have air in the front. The rear went down because the vent valve (non-serviceable) in the compressor is rusty and stuck open. The cure (assuming no air spring leaks) is a rebuilt compressor/dryer combo for about $150 over the 'Net.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Try checking with strutmasters.com. They have cheep kits to convert the susp. Wish I had found them b4 I spent 2000 big ones two yrs. ago. Now my mk 8 is doing the same. i asked their tech about it just tonight. I will see if he helps. If not, new retro kit is in order.

Reply to
swiftwinger

Take the vehicle to a dealership, they have an analyzer they can hook up to it that will tell you where the problem lies.

mike hunt

kathyj wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

You already have some good answers but I'm going to add my bit too...

I replaced the rear air springs in my '95 CV a few years ago. It was not particularly difficult or expensive, in my opinion. I had the advantage of a real Ford shop manual and got some good advise from the folks I bought the replacements from - Arnott Industries -

- I think it cost me around $200.

If you have never replaced them, the bag is the likely cause. Switch the key on and wait for the compressor to stop. Then crawl around near the rear wheels. I found the leak easily. Sometimes you may need to raise the car enough to spray soapy water on the bags. Look around before starting to replace parts.

I bought my CV because of the air suspension and I wanted to keep it. I like the ride and the self-leveling part is especially useful to me when I use the car as a truck.

Bear in mind, I have been a card-carrying shade-tree mechanic for a long time... but it wasn't an awful job. If you decide to do it, try to get a real Ford manual because they are much better at little details.

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Usually, if the compressor runs it is ok. If you keep driving it with a large leak, it will soon wear out the compressor though. Jack up the car and support the body on stands letting the differential hang. Look at the bags near the bottom where they fold under themselves. If you see cracks in the rubber, they are bad. Replace both bags, when one fails the other will fail soon. It's an easy job, much easier than replacing coil springs. Electrical problems and height sensor failures on this system are rare.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

'95 was about the last year the CV was rated for any real towing, too, at 5000 lbs. ...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"" wrote: > my 1992 ford crown vic the rear all the air seemed to go out > and the rear > is setting down however the front is still pumped up what > could this be > air lines compressor the switch in trunk or the shocks them > selves

I also have a 1992 crown vic I just replaced the rear air springs they were cracked and leaking. the front of the vehicle has coil springs, if your car levels out after starting it?s a very good bet the air springs are leaking,

Reply to
Marty