replacing trans fluid, 2000 windstar

Hi

I'm planning on replacing the trans fluid on my 2000 windstar. The Haynes manual says to drop the pan, replace the filter and top up with fluid. The Ford CD mechanics manual doesn't say anything about replacing the filter or removing the pan only this really neat method of opening one of the line to the cooler, starting the vehicle, adding new fluid and thru this method you'll replace all the fluid. The pan drop method seems to only renew 4 liters or so.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. My hunch is that the filter probably doesn't need to be replaced that often.

TIA

Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Actually, you should replace the filter about every 15k miles or so, and the Ford method is much more thorough way to replace the fluid.

Chuck

Reply to
Zex0s

The Ford method is better but you better have a helper. It can get messy. And remember you gotta remove both cooler lines, one is sucking the other blowing out, you gotta figure out which one is which. And you better not run out of fluid... I hear it empties them out pretty fast.

Reply to
AV