Should I use 5W-20?

Page 2 of 2
clare, at, snyder.on.ca wrote:

Engines today have "real bearings" and "real gaskets". If anything the bearing metallurgy is BETTER than it was 20 or even 10 years ago. The "real gaskets" are back, having found acceptable replacement heat-resistant materials, after the fiasco caused by Big Brother issuing an edict with an unrealistic compliance timetable that all automotive gaskets had to be asbestos-free, since "everybody knows" that asbestos is an environmental hazard and can cause cancer; you know, like tobacco. As far as "real engineering" goes, that takes "real engineers". Unfortunately the schools seem to be turning out more lawyers than anything else these days (I wonder why?). Oh yes, and I'll keep my OP gauge, thanks.
On Sat, 6 May 2006 23:42:33 -0400, "Victorbxee"

3.8 engine??? 1/2 ounce of antifreeze in the oil will wipe the bearings right out, and both the intake manifold and timing cover are notorious for leaking antifreeze into the oil on those engines. You could be running 20W50 and the bearings would still go south under those conditions.

***