Single piston engines

Who runs a lawn mower the equivalent of driving a car 30K miles per year?

Reply to
Bob Brown

Fordfan

Wikipedia claims production stopped in November.

Would really depend what you classed as the same car. For instance the Fiesta has been going over here since 1976. However it shares little in common with the orginal but the name. The British mini was bascially the same car from 1959 to 2000, but now the same issues as with the Fiesta. Ditto the Beetle.

Reply to
ryouwho

Offtopic (although it is a Ford owned company) but I think I've managed to answer my own question

ryouwho

The Peugeot 504 that is pictured as still for sale at

looks identical to the one that I learned to drive in in 1981. According to wikipedia, the 504 is the 53rd best-selling car of all time (tied) - I know because I just added the entry. The wikipedia article says in some places that it is still being made and other places says that it ceased production in 2006. So who knows?

I would guess that the Peugeot 504 that was last produced was the same basic design as the original, but with a new engine and transmission, but probably the same body and 4-wheel independent suspension as the original. So it is an updated version of the original model rather than an all new model like the Fiesta.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It really depend on how one defines "car." The Corolla is mostly the one sold with the same name, but the Corollas sold today are not the same vehicles that were sold in the past. In fact current ones sold as a different car, depending on which county one finds one.

There are two that I can think of that were sold as the original vehicle, on the same basic chassis, for many years and they are the Ford model "T" and the VW Beetle, with the Beetle selling in larger numbers and the "T" selling for more years, as I recall

I'm sure if one really wanted to know a search could lead to the definitive answer

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The 21,529,464 VW Beetles were made over a period of 65 years (1938 to 2003) vs. 16,500,000 Ford Model T's over 19 year (1908 to 1927). VW made the Beetles alongside new Beetle in Mexico until the end. In addition, VW made them in Brasil for a long time, until around 2000.

Although I wouldn't call Wikipedia definitive, I think in this case, it is accurate.

It is hard to keep this sort of list updated and many vehicles are missing. I think the AMC Concord/Eagle, Ford Contour/Mercury Mistake/Ford Mondeo, Dodge Ram, Ford Econoline, Chevy C10/Silverado & GMC pickup series, Renault R5/Le Car (in US), as well as some odd vehicles like Thomas Built Buses (Saf-T-Liner series), maybe some Mack Trucks or International/Navistar trucks, WWII Jeeps, and many other vehicles are missing and should be in the list.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I know somebody would do the search, but the site used is well know for inaccuracies or for not being up to date. I.E. There were "Ts" before 1908 and the F150 has been number one seller for 30 years not 23 ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Perhaps you will learn to in-line post to make it easier for people to follow the thread.

So some respect for the other readers.

This site says the first production model was built in 1908. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Even a honda fourwheeler 420cc, even the 350, is around $8k (CAD)... could it really be cheaper than that?

Reply to
Picasso

Being an accent, even if yours was a ford escort it would still be better :)

Reply to
Picasso

These people don't care... i drive old junk, and combined my wife and i make more than friends i have living alone, buying bikes, trucks, partying all the time.

Mind you 20% of both our salaries goes to rrsp's, and about 10% goes directly in to home improvements (for now)

Reply to
Picasso

You need to expand your searches. If you do you will find there were "Ts" before 1908. Go to the Ford Museum and you will see an early sixties model Mercury convertible with the WRONG model year on the information referring to it. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why? I have found information that is accurate enough, for me.

And if you carefully read what I wrote, I said production models.

Even Ford Motor Company agrees with me.

Just why are you so rude as to top-post?

I find it easier to in-line post, because I don't have to scroll to the top. In addition, I find it much easier to follow the thread, especially in posts that address more than point in a previous post.

IMHO, it is extremely rude and disrespectful of you to readers of these messages to top post.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sorry, I forgot the link:

Now, see how much easier it is to follow what I posted when it is inline compared to if I were a rude asshole and topposted?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'd fancy the Land Rover Defender (59 years and counting) to beat that, although the sales are obviously much smaller. Again it would depend how strict one was, as the Land Rover has developed slowly over the years. But it's still the same basic shape from the same factory.

Reply to
ryouwho

I don't know if there were major differences between the VW Beetles made before and after WWII, but after WWII, the VW Beetles were pretty much the same until they stopped production 4 years ago. Same basic engine and parts.

I don't know if you could say that for the Land Rove or not.

But, either way, this speaks to the durability of the vehicle, built by Ford (now).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You are free to believe whatever you choose, but the fact remains there were "Ts" before 1908 and the F150 has been number one seller for 30 years not 23 ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I believe that the first production model T was made in 1908. The Ford Motor Company is likely to know more about this than you:

I also believe that you are intellectual dishonest person. I can see that by the way you fail to do simple things, like indicate that you deleted lines in other people's replies without indicating that.

I also believe that you are rude to others. I see then when you fail to show respect to others by in-line posting instead of top-posting. In-line posting shows respect to others by making it easier to follow threads, especially when the comments involve multiple areas of the previous post. This, I believe, is also part of your intellectual dishonest.

I believe that an retired engineer is smart enough to figure it out. In fact, I find it much easier to respond to a post with inline posting than top posting, because I am able to see exactly what part of the post I am replying to.

Finally, I believe these qualities that you have: rudeness, laziness and intellectual dishonesty, indicate that you are no longer worth my time to reply to.

Bye-bye.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I think you are deceiving yourself, you simply can not resist replying to ANYBODIES posts, in any NG. LOL

mike

< redundancies deleted>

Reply to
Mike Hunter