Snow tires on a Mustang

I haven't bought snow tires since the early 70's, and that was for my 68 Mustang. My 2006 is even worse in the snow, so I'm considering snows.

I see ads for the Bridgestone 'Blistix' or something like that. Any good? Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or another about any specific snow tires?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

I run the Blizzak WS60's on my 06. Night and day difference. No issues at all with the car in the snow with them on, without em, just a sled.

Reply to
Brian V

You do not want to buy SNOW tires, you want "Winter" tires. Winter tires, unlike snow tires have a less aggressive tread of softer rubber layer on the top, much like motorcycle tires, that work much better on plowed and wet roads.

I have owned six Mustang GT convertibles since 1999. I currently own a 2009 and I drive Mustang year round in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I have tried several brands and at one point I purchased 'Blistixs' and the were the worst winter tire of all the brands I used, because they did not track well on wet or icy roads.

My latest three seta have been Cooper, great winter tire and reasonable priced.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How many miles can you put on them before the tread is worn out?

Reply to
Steve Stone

I'm going on season 3 with them, probably be the last. 12-15k or so.

Reply to
Brian V

I guess that would depend on how often one spins the tires to impress the girls ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The soft rubber will wear off at around 15,000, then they are no better than regular tires. At that point one can just let them on through the summer, WBMS

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Blizzaks are one year or two year tires. EXCELLENT for the first year or so, then just good all seasons. I've been running Dunlop Graspics for the last 7 years - ALMOST as good as the Blizzak first year, and just as good for the next 3 or 4, at least - for me. Got 6 years on the Pontiac TransSport, and one more on the PT Cruiser - but that last year was not a "good" year - replaced them this year. Had them on daughter's Neon and wife's Mystique - and now on daughter's new Civic.

Reply to
clare

I also go to narrower tires on the smallest rims that fit - with higher aspect ratio. In the slop we get around here half the winter, even wide SNOW tires act like flying saucers. But on 4 good narrow snows, and drive accordingly.

Reply to
clare

Pardon???? Nothing sticks like a Blizzak on ice the first year )except, PERHAPS Metzlers or Haks, at 3 times the price. On wet pavement, no snow tire stops like a good summer touring.

Reply to
clare

On a rear wheel drive car like the Mustang do you use qty 2 or qty 4 winter tires?

Back in the 60's and 70's I remember putting snow tires only on the rear drive wheels.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

I might be a wierd old , but the idea of even tires on a mustang just seems like blasphemy (and I live where winter is really WINTER). Of course we don't drive ours in the winter (it's a convertible... driving with the top up seems like blasphemy, too).

Now... in my youth.... way back then I could be so wierd that most of you folks would seem normal....

Don't try driving a car with welded spider gears in the winter....

Honest...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Sounds good. I ordered a set from TireRack.com

Reply to
Mike Y

Did you get rims from Tirerack as well or do you know some one local who is willing to do the work?

Reply to
Steve Stone

The place I bought the Mustang will do the mounting for me. I probably would have bought rims, but I didn't see any that match the ones on my car. I've looked...

Reply to
Mike Y

You ARE ptting on 4, aren't you? So the rims don't need to match. DO NOT put only 2 snows on!!!! You need to steer and stop more than you need to go.

Reply to
clare

Loss of steering control is not generally a problem with a RWD vehicle. Loss of steering control is the alkalis heel problem of FWD vehicles, caused by engine braking.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It is also a very real problem when braking with a RWD automatic transmission car in wet sloppy conditions. I've driven several million KMs, slightly less than half in winter, and about half on rear drive vehicles - although my first was Front drive. In the early years I just put snows on the front - but once I had driven with snows on all 4, I'd never go back to rear only.

Reply to
clare

For FWD vehicles that is the ideal set up.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Alkali? Isn't that chemistry, like acids and bases?

Gee, next you will be talking about salting the roads.

Reply to
dr_jeff