2003 Mustang GT--SNOW

I was wondering if anyone has some expertise in all-season or snow tires for Mustang GT's. I have a 2003 GT and we had 4 inches of snow the other day. My car was almost un-driveable. I still have the original factory Goodyear Eagles on it, and was wondering if it is worth my money to put all-season, or winter only tires on it????????? Does it make that much difference? It is a 5-speed, and starting out from a dead-stop is the main problem I had---it just doesn't want to move at all, and rear end starts to go sideways as soon as you try to move. Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Dan Smith
265 HP in a rear wheel drive vehicle made for performance driving will never be a 'great' winter car.

Get yourself some blizzacks at tirerack for a start.

Dan Smith wrote:

Reply to
cprice

Yes, you need the proper tires. No matter what the conditions are, proper tire selection has a greater impact on traction than anything else. Go and get some good tires. Second, a little extra weight in the back is helpful. Sandbags, lead, water, whatever works for you. Finally, technique. When it's really slippery like that, start out in second, not first. Feather the clutch, and use just enough gas to keep the engine from stalling. It just takes a little traction.

Reply to
.boB

and rear end starts to go sideways as soon as you try to

And welcome to the downside of limited slip (sideways).

Performance tires SUCK in the Snow...I'm near you and we got three inches... and my Tbird beater went thru that just fine with GY touring all-weathers. Course it's got a better weight ratio and less torque

IMO, Columbus drivers got no need for blizzaks, even on a Mustang.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Outside Philly, and caught unprepared. I've got performance radials, and they're past-due for replacement.

Normally, I like to put new tires on the car for my October inspection, which means that I have best tread going into the winter. And, when I know a storm is coming, I top off the gas tank for the weight in the back. That usually sees me through most contingencies (that, and a very light and easy throttle).

This "major snow event" dusted the area with about 3" of powder, but the trailing edge of the storm soaked that with sleet/freezing rain. If I don't shovel out, the car goes nowhere. And this was a heavy, annoying kind of snow. (GREAT for snowballs, though.)

Even when the driveway is clean, I still have to wait for the plows, because the snow drifts were up to a foot on my street.

The "main road" is a two-lane affair, heavily travelled in peak time. There were two salted ruts going east (the direction of the morning commute), and the west-bound lane looked as if it hadn't seen a plow. And this was at

11:30 in the morning, after plenty of warning about an impending snowstorm.

The highway was a disgrace. Plenty of slush between lanes, making lane-changing an adventure. And the far right lane would suddenly disappear without warning under snow that had never been properly plowed.

The ride home last night was a little better, but still some of the secondary roads hadn't seen a plow. Plenty of separation and keeping to the low end of 2nd gear....

Bottom line - the Mustang isn't really a snow car, although it CAN be fun. You need to carefully plan ahead, to avoid having to stop on an uphill stretch. You need to allow plenty of space between cars, and where possible slow down enough so that you don't have to come to a complete stop at lights...

Only once or twice have I been stuck (in 12 years with this one), and it's been impossible to drive this car on only 3 or 4 days in all that time. I've never had snows on it, or any tires other than my Comp T/As and now KDWS. In snow and ice, driving these cars takes full and complete awareness and a heightened sense of caution.

Still, as I'm so fond of pointing out, every idiot with a license drove a big ol' rear-wheel drive automobile in all kinds of weather...until OPEC pulled the plug. And I'm almost certain that I'm better than some of those folks...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I, too, had very good luck, driving in snow ..on my SVO.. with NEW comp t/a's

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Cobra Boy

Using Michelin Arctic Alpines up in Cleveland. Only break loose when the right foot gets "dry weather heavy" in snow. Using a 16" version with 16" wheels to maintain speedometer/odometer accuracy. On their 4th winter now, good value for about $750 for the set. Wheels are OEM Ford Mustang 16". If I remember correctly I ordered them from Discount Tire out of Columbus, Ohio. Shipped via UPS already mounted, balanced and ready to roll. Last three winters have been very snowy here and this one is on a record pace...

Reply to
mach169usa

Hiya... I live in NJ and have a 2001 GT. I've driven it in snow many times. I went through four winters with the stock Goodyear's and it was as bad as you would expect. You have to start out in second gear and be VERY careful. Though, I've had rear wheel drive cars since I started driving back in 1985 and I'm used to powerful cars that don't drive well in snow including my first car a 1976 V8 Chevy Monza. My previous car was a 1990 LX 5.0 and it was soooo bad in the snow that I took off my regular rims and tires during winter and put on steel rims and snow specific tires for the winter. It did quite well like that. The 2001 GT seems to be a bit better then the 1990, so I haven't gotten snow tires. However, I have brand new tires on the 2001 and they work much better in the snow then the Goodyear Eagles. I'm currently using the Avon Tech 550 AS. We've had three snows already in NJ including a bad one last Friday. It is still not good in the snow, but it is noticeably better then it was with the Goodyear Eagles. My best advice if you have no choice but to drive in the snow every now and then with a Mustang is to get some cheap steel rims and good snow specific tires for the winter. If you have to drive in snow all the time, get another car or a second car for the winter.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I drove my 2002 GT in the snow twice, and went out and purchased a Ford Ranger for the winter. With some weight in the back of the Ranger it goes just fine. Martin

Reply to
Jim McQuade