Taurus skipping at idle

Hi,

I have a '98 Taurus 24 value DOHC with 100K miles. Changed plugs a month ago and changed fuel filter, added gas treatment but now have an infrequent skip when starting up. It usually goes away after driving 15 miles or so but always comes back after the car sits and cools down. Any ideas if it is fuel related or spark related ? It is not bad (feels like the engine dies for a fraction of a second) but I'm concerned it may die for good in the middle of nowhere. I've thought about a bad injector or coil breakdown but since it comes and goes don't know how to test for those. No OBDII codes have shown up.

Jeff

Reply to
JTB

Have you replaced your plug wires too? No guarantee that it will help, but definitely worth doing, if they are over 5 years old.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Check for vacuum leaks (preforably using a MityVac). Clean the IAC. Clean the MAF sensor. Clean the throttle body.

Exactly what type of plugs did you use. Soem cars really don't like the Bosch platinum plugs. I recommend the Autolite.

Reply to
scott21230

98 Taurus after valve job and new BOSCH plugs missed all over the place - - - Installed autolite miss mysteriously disappeared :-))
Reply to
Hank

I was not mysterious. Your miss went missing when the Bosch plugs went missing. I never will understand why a company with the otherwise fine reputation of Bosch would have their name on something as crappy as their plugs.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

It is not just Bosch. Tauri are very picky about their plugs. I had a '90 SHO that would foul even the best Nippon Denso and NGK plugs, but ran beautifully on the Autolite/Motorcraft units. :-~

Reply to
Paul Elliot