Throttle Return Screw (TRC)

I have a 1997 AWD Ford Explorer 5.0 Liter and am trying to find out the correct procedure for setting the Throttle Plate opening by adjusting the stop screw on the Throttle Body. Hope you understand what I'm looking for. Anyone have any Idea or a website I can got to for this procedure??

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Santo

You are not supposed to ever adjust them because it's an emission part. Here's what I would do based on what I did on my 88 Mustang

5.0.... First, do NOT back the screw off and then start fiddling with the throttle and moving it open and closed - you will make the plate dig into the coating on the throat and you don't want to do that. Just back the screw out till it no longer touches the stop, then turn it in very slowly till it JUST BARELY touches the stop. Then turn it in another half a turn, this will crack the throttle open slightly. Then start the engine and see if it seems to be running ok and maintaining proper idle speed. The Idle speed bypass valve will, if it's working right, adjust the speed to the correct setting. If it is not able to maintain a uniform idle speed then turn the screw in another half turn. (turn the engine off, add the half turn, restart the engine) Even with a new Idle air bypass valve on my 5.0 this was the only way I was ever able to get it adjusted so it idled properly. There is a factory procedure for the mustang that I tried first (used a feeler gauge, don't recall the details) but it would not idle properly when adjusted according to the book procedure.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher