I have an 1988 thunderbird that the amp light came on in. I took to get
tested and it turned out fine and then the amp light went off. A couple of
weeks later it came on again so i ignored it thinking it was maybe because i
don't drive the car that much. Well I enede up breaking down and had to have
to battery charged to get home. After the battery was charged we tested the
alternetor by removing the positive cable and the car died. I took my
alternator to get fixed and when I got it back I tested it again because my
amp light was on still. Car died just as suspected. I checked the plugsto the
alternator to see if they were maybe dirty, but they weren't. Is there
something else that could be bad on the car that would make me think it is
the alternator? The engine is a 5.0 and fuel injected. Any one that has any
help i would really appriciate it cuz I don't want the car to sit all winter
and not be able to start it and drive on the nicer days.
This car should have an internal regulator from the factory. Pay
special attention to the plug that's on the back of the alternator.
These have been known to have contact problems. Most rebuilt
alternators that you buy for this model (well, the good ones anyway)
have a new plug that you are supposed to crimp on the old wiring.
Be leary of rebuild kits that are available on the market for these
alternators. When one of these alternators fail, a lot of parts in the
alternator quite often fail at once.
I have an '88 Cougar that I purchased new and now has about 300K miles.
Does your radio lose the station presets when you start it? If it does,
replace the battery. The battery is not keeping enough voltage in the
system and it will need replacing.
[quote=]>Does your radio lose the station presets when you start it? If it
My radio was replaced and the kid that owned the car before me had allsorts
of stuff messed up and too many different color wires, We still are having
diffeculty with figuring out all the speakers. So I would no be able to go by
that. The battery is fine any way, I have no problems starting it. But thanks
Beings that I didn't buy the alternator at a part store ( because i had my
old one fixed) I didn't get a new plug. I will see about getting a new one of
those and go from there....Thanks very much to all. I'll let you know what
happens....in the mean time if any one else has any other ideas please post
them! the more i check into the better!
That's a "test" that went out with mechanical voltage regulators.
On anything made within the last 30 years, it's an excellent way to
fry the alternator, regulator, computer, radio, and any other electrical
devices in the car. Please don't do it again.
Amp light coming on means the alternator isn't producing enough current
to charge the battery; it's most likely a defective alternator OR
separate VR (typical for 5.0 engine) OR battery going out OR cabling
problems. I don't really trust the amp idiot light; get a cigar lighter
plug-in digital voltmeter for about $15 that shows what's going on much
better that the idiot light. If you let the car sit for weeks at a time,
invest another $20 in a 2A trickle charger that will keep the battery
charged and also prevent it from freezing in winter.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.