transmission shop

So i rolled by the transmission shop today... in the lineup were 6 vehicles...

2 dodge caravans... 97 98ishes.

1 f150 1992 or up

1 f150 1997 or up a ford escort zx2 1998ish and a lincoln town car, 1993ish

hehehe.

I will still drive a ford!

Reply to
Picasso

So what does the "lineup" mean? Maybe some were getting their transmissions flushed instead of their wallets. Two of the Ford products are almost 15 years old. Who knows what the mileages are on any of them.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them." Inspector Jacques Clouseau

Reply to
F. H.

hey listen man, i own 2 fords, and have had 8 before these. i'm just laughing because its funny.

i do all the maintenance on my vehicles, and haven't had any serious problems with transmissions or motors. (no motor/tranny problems actually)

Probally most automotive problems can be helped if people cared about their vehicles

Reply to
Picasso

Of course we know those Caravans were in there for complete rebuilds with about 70K on them. That's a given.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I agree, 100%. MOST automotive problems can be largely reduced or eliminated with proper care. Some require a lot more than others - and some just plain fail - no matter HOW well you take care of them. Not restricted to any one make, model, or country - BUT, on the whole the major Japanese (and now even Korean) manufacturers are putting out vehicles that set the quality bar for the American manufacturers to meet or excede. If the Japs had not been nipping at the heals of the American manufacturers, rust-through in 3 years, and the scrap-heap at 100,000 miles (160,000km) would still be the norm. Are they perfect? No. Are they as good as they could possibly be? No. Are they a better value than the Americans, and are the americans better now than they used to be? Yes to both. Have the americans consistently been reaching the bar set by the Japs? NO. You get SOME very good American cars. You get a few rather poor Japanese (and Korean) cars - but on the whole, the Americans are still chasing the target. Ford isn't doing terribly badly the last few years (using a LOT of Mazda/Toyo Kogyo technology), Chrysler is all over the map - with some VERY good vehicles, and some pretty mediocre, pedestrian stuff, while GM is fast approaching the end - with their Korean products and Japanese designs more or less keeping them afloat at the low priced end of the spectrum. Olds is gone, Buick and or Pontiac will soon follow. Cadilac is, in many ways, a Joke. Their (GMC and Chev) truck lines, if eliminated or removed from the mix, would put them down the tubes immediately.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Where are you finding 9 and 10 year old caravans with with only

70,000miles on them? Lots of them are in for the SECOND rebuild!! And lots of them failed, even the second time, long before 70,000.

If Chrysler didn't design around a fluid standard that was CRITICAL and not readilly available in the "real world" things would be better

- but their early electronic controls left much to be desired.

They appear to have gotten it right over the last number of years??? (other than the fluid issues)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I can't even really lay my finger on a quality built GM car in the last

10 years. The cavaliers were a flop, a good neon would be almost better than these cars. The new cobalt -- who knows. The Malibu's have been plagued with problems since their release. The impalas -- even the cops aren't using them as much anymore. They did completly away with their police interceptors, leaving that market clearly up to ford with hte crown vics -- probally the only reason we can still get a crown vic.

As far as trucks go, i think they do an excellent job in the fullsize pickup market. Their S10's and Blazer lines were obviously sub-par -- had they not been, why would they change the name & face. Ford has been running the F line for what, 50 years? and dodge hasn't strayed from their nameplate either.

Reply to
Picasso

Can't be MUCH worse than the Cavalier - but look how many Vegas and Chevettes GM sold? Or even Citations??? Definitely no better than the Cavalier.

And the Daimler/Chrysler release of the Charger Pursuit may put the Crown Vic out of it's misery too.

As for small cars - GM has NEVER been good at building/marketting small cars. With the POSSIBLE exception of the Corvair - and it was handily outsold by both the Falcon and the Valiant (which admitedly, were hardly SMALL cars) Even given a Corolla (sold as Nova or Spectrum) they couldn't move THEM through the showrooms.

Like I said - without the full sized pickup market, GM would be in MUCH rougher condition.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

That and the Escorts are worth fixing because cars like that that get good mileage are in big demand now.

Reply to
scott21230

What was the issue with fluid?

Reply to
Picasso

If you don't use the reccommended (and until VERY recently strictly dealer supplied) and expensive ATF+4 fluid, the tranny didn't stand up worth beans.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Wonder if thats still true... contractors at work i see them putting regular atf in...

I've never actually had to ADD transmission fluid to a vehicle....

what would make one do this

Reply to
Picasso

The vehicles with regular fluid put in WILL be back, and oil needs to be added any time a line springs a leak, for one.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca