Trouble with Gas gauge in 96 Escort ?

I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with this? The gauge seems to drift a lot upon acceleration and deceleration. I thought that newer cars didn't have the bobber type of gauges. Is the gauge in the fuel pump? My girlfriend had a 98 and it didn't seem to do that. I am wondering if that is why my MPG seems so low, the car runs very well with 92,000.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
mpomario