using 2003 f-150 without airbags

My son had a wreck in his 2003 f-150 the other day and both his airbags deployed. He does not have collision insurance (yes, I know). He got the physical damage fixed for $2500 but does not plan to get the airbags replaced due to the expense. But now his horn does not work. Any advice on fixing his horn for now ?

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Get collision insurance and have another crash?

Reply to
dr_jeff

Why would anyone purchase collision coverage on an eight year old vehicle, that they can never sell? Much wiser to install a horn button, same the cost of reinstallation of the SRS as well as the extra insurance premium, by self insuring.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I think I would learn to drive without the horn - maybe just put a button on the side of the column. I don't think I have even checked to see if any of my horns work since they stopped annual safety inspections more than 25 years ago. After all, I don't think I have ever seen a horn do much of anything other than act as an audible finger signal to another driver. It damn sure won't slow or stop your vehicle as quickly as just applying the brakes. Most cars are so well insultaed from outside sounds these days that the two note sound system inside completely blocks out any danger warning a horn may produce.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

We gotta have a working horn for the annual safety inspection here in Texas. And his sticker expired March 31 of course.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

You don't purchase insurance for selling a truck; rather, you purchase insurance so that it can be repaired or replaced in the event of a crash.

A horn button costs much less than (not the same) as SRS.

Jeff

PS, the original answer I gave was sarcasm. Too bad you are too stupid to figure that out.

Reply to
dr_jeff

Are you really that slow? One can not buy collision insurance on, or sell a vehicle, that does not have a functioning SRS, dummy.

He can simply spend $20 to install a horn button to pass the state inspection and drive it till it dies and use the couple of grand it would cost to replace the SRS and the hundreds of dollars he would pay for the premium for collision coverage to spend on his next vehicle. Too bad you are too stupid to figure that out.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Bullshit. I have sold vehicles without a functioning SRS or horn. And how would they that the horn or SRS isn't working? You don't need state inspection to get insurance. I drove a car for a couple of years without state inspection. And, a year without registration. Had I been stopped, I would have been in trouble for the driving without registration. As far as the state inspection, I would have received a ticket (I did receive a parking ticket for it, though).

If I am such a dummy, why do you have to remove what I said to make your point?

Too bad you don't know when to stop.

How much will it cost him to get his chest and face fixed if he gets in another frontal crash?

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

A button switch to the horn should satisfy the requirement for a horn. I don't believe there is a specification as to how the horn is sounded as long as the driver can do it.

The SRS is another story as some states do require any factory installed or required safety devices be present and operational. There are sources of salvaged air bags removed from vehicles where they did not deploy or the vehicle was decommissioned because of other problems. Whereever you find them, they won't be cheap - just less expensive then new. If you do get replacement bags, you should have them installed by someone who knows what they are doing to make sure they will work and do not deploy during installation when the electricals are connected. If you go the salvage route, you may want to go for a complete steering wheel. That way, the horn should be good to go when installed.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Ya right LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Nice comeback. You should print it out so you don't forget it.

Reply to
dr_jeff

Sure you did you, might have robbed a bank as well, but that would be illegal, so is selling a vehicle that does not have a functioning SRS, driveling without a license, valid insurance, registration or inspection sticker, dummy.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually, your drivel all the time without a license!

In fact, about all you do here!

At least you finally recognize it.

ROTFL

Reply to
dr_jeff

When you run out of facts to support you statements you always try to change the subject.

As long as you want to talk about drivel, you are the only person in the country, who supposedly has a teaching degree that allows you to practice medicine, "dr_jeff." LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Who said I had a teaching degree that allows me to practice medicine?

And you say I change the subject?

I am not to one who changed the subject from driving to drivel.

The only place I have been so close to so much crap as what you and the other Republicans write here is when I visited Riverside State Park in NYC (it's built on a wastewater treatment plant).

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

I agree on the seat belt usage. Even though he is former Marine Corps humvee gunner, he still wears his seat belt everywhere he goes. I feel that seat belts are much safer than air bags.

BTW, his air bags deployed at less than 20 mph. And he was wearing his seat belt. The other vehicle, a dodge pickup, just had minor rear bumper damage.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I'm having a hard time reconciling your post.... what does being a hummvee gunner have to do with anything? As for seatbelts being "safer" than airbags. Wow.

It has been proven that airbags can inflict injuries... bruising... abrasion.. that sort of stuff... The alternative (death or permanent disability) is more attractive?????

Would it surprise you that the seatbelt serves two purposes? The first is to keep you from being ejected in an accident... the second is to position your body (via seatbelt pretensioners) to make the airbags more effective.

What is it about safety equipment ( I wish I could ride my motorcycle without wearing a helmet when I choose) that we shun...

Hard hats, bump caps, eye protection, nitrile gloves...

Wait... the more people disregard safe practices, the fewer we will see stupid posts....

Go ahead... some of you may become Darwin winners...

Reply to
Jim Warman

gunner have to do with anything?

Humvees dont have seatbelts or airbags. Gunners stand on the rear deck in a well. The driver and the dismounts dont wear seatbelts in case they have to get out in a hurry. But, Marine humvees rarely go above 20 mph.

that sort of stuff... The alternative (death or

Dont forget burns. But I still think plain seatbelts work best of all.

keep you from being ejected in an accident... the

airbags more effective.

Been there, done that in the days before air bags. Had a head on crash in 1970 at 70 mph (both cars) - combined speed of 140 mph. All my family was wearing seatbelts. The only people hurt in my car (a 67 chevy wagon) was my brother who was sleeping slipped down in the seat so that the seat belt cut his vein from his stomach and me when the front bench seat collapsed onto my leg, breaking it in two places. The other car was not wearing seat belts, one person was ejected and crushed between the two cars when we hit the second time. The seat belts worked fine for all 5 of us. They had to carry our chevy wagon off on a trailer since the frame was buckled so bad (it was about 3 feet higher in the middle than the ends).

wearing a helmet when I choose) that we shun...

He wears his helmet on his motorcycle.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

You did dummy, you claimed to be Medical Doctor when all you have is a Doctorate in the History of Education. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

As are retired automotive design engineer who worked in designing crumple zones etc., let me clarify the point.

The SRS is not designed to do what a belt does or replace the function of the belt, that why it called a SUPPLEMENTAL Restraint System. The deployed bag simply supplements a functioning of the shoulder belt portion, of a three point seat belt, at the point where ones body moves forward from the lap belt.

Unlike what one sees in the movies or on TV the bag is vented so it deflates and immediately collapses after is it deployed. The belt is what will keep one in place AFTER the SRS deploys, as well.

A person can be killed in a collision even if they are properly belted and the SRS deployed. There are three "Collision that result for a high speed frontal crash. The first obviously is when the vehicles meet and the crumble zones begin to absorb the forces of that event.

The second in when one body strike the belt and the SRS. The third is when one organs strike ones skeleton. If the terminal speed at which one organs strike ones skeleton is great enough even after the crumple zones, belts and SRS have done their job you will be killed.

That is the reason large vehicles are the safest vehicle in which one can place their family, there is more area in the front of the vehicle into which we could design more effective crumple zones to more rapidly reduce the forces of the second and third collisions.

The star ratings can be deceptive. Small cars may have a four of even five star rating but it is no match for a large vehicle with the exact same rating. One reason the death and injury rates dropped dramatically in the eighties was the fact more families were riding the larger, safer, SUVs of the day.

Reply to
Mike Hunter