Using Voltmeter to Get Trouble Codes?

Does anyone know what setting you should put your voltmeter on ? Is it on OHM, ACV, or DCV ? Also, what numbers: 500, 250, or 10? The repair manual is unclear? Furthermore, my number 2 pin does not correspond with the one in the manual or on the web site:

So, is there a way todetermine the real number 2 and number 4 pins ? ( I have a 1990 FordTaurus, 3.8 L V6 automatic). The number 2 pin is marked, but it is not thesame one on the diagram of the manual or of the web site. Thanks,

Nino

Reply to
Nino.Nospam

Scott M

Also, are you looking at the right plug under the hood?

Reply to
Scott M

The volt meter works OK. You need to count the needle swings. However, I've found counting the check engine light blinks works just as well and is less of a hassle then hooking up the meter.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Nino.Nospam

Bill, How do I get the check engine light to blink the codes for me?

Reply to
Nino.Nospam

That must be it. hook it up like the web link showed. Even if #2 is confusing you. Why did you say #2 is different on yours? Just do it like the picture. See how the pyramid shaped plug is a little offset? Follow directions on the site. Do the KOER test first.

Reply to
Scott M

"Nino.Nospam" wrote

MasterBlaster

Excellent picture of how to place the jumper. The check engine light will flash the codes twice, have a longer pause, then flash the next code twice. Write down the codes and look them up in the book.

"MasterBlaster"

Reply to
Bill

Do not do the KOER test first or you will lose your memory codes.

Reply to
Sean Hawkes

Oops you are correct.....I ment KOEO, fix those codes first......then do the KOER....

Reply to
Scott M