Window regulator replacement in 95 Grand Marquis...

The window on the driver's door stopped going up and down. Motor still works but the window just sits there. I was told that this is a window regulator issue. Went on EBay and saw that these things are in the $30 - 50 range. I asked a couple of sellers if the part comes with instructions on how to Remove and Replace one. So far the answers have come back that they don't.

Does anyone know where replacement procedures for one of these would be, besides the Mercury Shop Manuals? Has anyone attempted this?

thanks

Reply to
TheKidd

Are you sure the motor is OK?. What usually failes when the motor runs but, the glass doesn't. it is because of the 3 cylindrical plastic parts in the motor transmision are disintegrated. The easy to repair is to simply get a new or rebuilt motor for about $80. I have repaired acouple of them by getting replacement inserts. They are cheap if you can find a dealer who has them on hand and easy to replace by removing the motor and removing the gear cover. I have also repaired a couple of them successfully by using high strength epoxy to fill the area between the inner and outer portion of the driven gear.

As far as the regulator, I have replaced a couple of them. No big deal. You will need to drill out the original rivits and gert bolts to replace them in the new regulator. The glass gas to be unmounted from the regulator which take a bit of care. Anything you do to repair your problem will require torz drivers.

Lastly, be sure to remove the plastic inserts around the door handle and the door switches. After you remove the screwws holding the door panel, the panel must be gently worked uppward while pushing in on it to release it without breaking the retaiers which are cast into the back side of the panel. The previous owner of my current CV apparently knew nothing about being carefully, The panel is now held in place with several upholstery screws. I installed them on the right side panel so they would match.

Reply to
lugnut