Windstar 1998 unsatisfied customer

You mean you have no answer. What do you call a high achiever? What is the bottom 1/3? Why would there be a cost difference? Seems to me you have bought into the myth of too large a class room over worked teacher crap.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Spending vast amount where?

Those people spend that money in private schools, which means nothing to the public school system. Bush is a good example of Daddy having wealth and power. He dodged war, was given companies to ruin, barely made it through college........spend money on the top end........produce a tax system that does just that, hold back the disadvantaged by design ( that would be holding back the disadvantaged intentionally ) all the while presented as fair.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Oh please. The work load is not even close to what you are trying to make it out to be. Use your own formula. A two page paper per week, not day. The papers tend to be graded at a later date, not the same day. So that extra 12 hours works to just over 2 hours a day, and that is only if ( which by experience I know is not true ) the instructor is doing all that you say is being done. The fact is, that two page paper is required more on a monthly basis. That should be prep time for the days class, being the same subject for each period you do that once. Instructors do not call parents today, unless the child has gotten so out of hand and has caused a big enough problem the instructor can not hide his/her head in the sand any more and ignore the problem child.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Well, I work at a Catholic high school and we do call parents and parents call us. In fact, we have a regularly scheduled academic and discipline review where we review student's progress and status. In addition, we post each student's grade in progress (an open gradebook complete with all assignments) on our school internet where parents with a proper code word can access them. this generates a lot of email! As to the other point, I do assign a two page paper once a week in each of my 5 classes. I average 28 students per class. I also teach two AP classes (part of the 5) and that really adds on the work. Teachers who do it correctly work at lot more than those who do not. I also field nightly questions over the school's web site and we host a one night a week on-line bulletin board. This past weekend I spent most of Sunday working with my students on a project we are doing outside of class.

The extra twelve hours are in fact, spread out over a three day period. I also grade twice weekly homework, quizzes and tests all of which are in addition to the papers I mentioned. I work my ass off, as do all of the other first rate teachers I know of. If I had a nickel for every lunch hour I've spent with a kid who as a problem, or every day I stayed until way after 4:30 (my teaching day begins at 7:30) I'd be a rich man. Teaching, good teaching, takes time. Adding more students to the classroom without adding more time will decrease the effectiveness of the teaching every time.

I have two preps presently, AP history, and US History reg. I have had up to three in past years. The 10 minutes is what it takes to get ready for each class. The over all lesson planning takes additional time. You must have known some third-rate teachers if your info is at all based on experience. It's like anything else in life, if you deal with hacks you get shoddy results. Deal with a pro and you get craftsmanship...and that takes time as well as talent.

Reply to
Reece Talley

That's not a public school then is it? Apples vs. oranges. You do a lot of extra activity which in reality ( although a feather in your cap ) is self induced. Much of what you said is the reason many parents with kids in the public school system want them out of the public school system and in a private. One of the reasons that the voucher system keeps popping up in political battles during election years.

No sympathy at that point, mine starts @ 6:00 it's supposed to end @ 2:30 but usually ends @ 4:00. I'm also on call every week end, meaning I may be called out @ 2 am. It happens a lot.

Don't really agree with your at that point, but you just may be one of those that needs to constantly look over your daily script. I can see a prep time for the first class of the day or subject change. But if the same subject is at each period, no. The only change at that scenario is the students, what you are going to bring to class is the same. Each class would then be a "prep" for the next class. History does not change from one class to another. One class may hove more or less students, the amount of students in each class that need additional help may change usually not by a large number though. The over all lession planning? Part of your normal work load.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

In Ontario catholic schools ARE public schools. Fully funded, just like the regular public schools. And yes, good teaching DOES take time. I've done it. I don't any more. The aggravation and politics just wasn't worth it any more.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce