Winstar 2001 Batteries dies occasionally

Our winstar 2001 died on us in the parking lot, so I got it going with a boost. The odd thing was, it did not sound like a dead battery. When I tired to start it, it sounded more like a pulsating or shooting sound. It made that sound again a couple of days ago, but after a couple of tires it started. Any idea what it could be? thanks.

Reply to
lbbs

Change the starter solenoid. My Bird did that and it got worse and worse.

Reply to
C. Vaughan

is that an expensive job/part ?

Reply to
lbbs

Depends on if it is located in the engine compartment or on the starter. The shooting sound is the solenoid engaging/disenganging. If its in the engine compartment, it is a simple 20 minute job. If it's on the starter, it mat be better to just change the starter.

Most Fords are not on the starter, but there are some that are.

Reply to
C. Vaughan