2002 Ford Focus SOHC SPI 2.0L motor

After 140,000 miles, I had a valve seat fail (disintegrate) in one of my cylinders and so I'm debating replacing the motor.

I heard this is a common problem with this motor, and so I'm hesitant to get a motor from a junk yard, or to purchase a rebuilt motor. I'm even a bit hesitant to even purchase a new motor from Ford.

How often does valve seat failure occur? Is there a typical engine mileage band where this is more likely to occur? For example, above

100,000 miles?

If I go to Ford and purchase a new motor, are these engines any better built than the engines that came with the 2002 Focus?

Finally, what is a good price for a new engine? How much should I expect to pay for a rebuilt or junk-yard engine?

This has been a fantastic car, and so I'm hoping I can find a good replacement that will last at least another 50,000 to 100,000 miles without any new engine related failures.

Reply to
fordfocusrocks

That is common problem on the 2.0 and 1.9 in Focus or Escort. They can repair the head and possibly repair/rebuild your engine, depending the extent of the damage. I had a 1.9 in an Escort do that with 220,000 miles on it. Put a motor from a wrecker in it.

I heard this is a common problem with this motor, and so I'm hesitant to get a motor from a junk yard, or to purchase a rebuilt motor. I'm even a bit hesitant to even purchase a new motor from Ford.

How often does valve seat failure occur? Is there a typical engine mileage band where this is more likely to occur? For example, above

100,000 miles?

If I go to Ford and purchase a new motor, are these engines any better built than the engines that came with the 2002 Focus?

Finally, what is a good price for a new engine? How much should I expect to pay for a rebuilt or junk-yard engine?

This has been a fantastic car, and so I'm hoping I can find a good replacement that will last at least another 50,000 to 100,000 miles without any new engine related failures.

Reply to
John Gangl