Antifreeze

Hi, 1.8 Lx UK 2000 it has blue antifreeze if I was toppping up does it have to be the make specified in the owners manual or can I use any that's compatible even it's a different colour

Regards

Reply to
Any

If you have the blue (as opposed to the orange) antifreeze you can just add regular ethylene gycol antifreeze to the coolant to bring the strenght up.

However as its now 3 yrs old, you would be wise to drain, flush and refill with fresh coolant (50/50) as the corrosion inhibitors in the blue coolant 'wear out' after around 3 yrs.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What's the difference between the blue and orange as it's actually the orange one I made a mistake.

Regards

Reply to
Any

In message , Any writes

I'm glad you said that because I was wondering how your 2000 Ford had the old blue coolant when my 2 1999 Fords have the later orange coolant.

To answer you question, the orange coolant doesn't ever need replacing because the corrosion inhibitors don't deteriorate. You should always use the orange coolant when topping up. Never put the blue stuff in.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thank you all. I'm glad I double checked.

Regards

Reply to
Any

Not quite so Paul. - the red / orange coolant is meant to last 5 years. when it turns brown- its times to change.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..