anyone using a K&N air filter?

Hi, I have a 2002 Focus ZTS and was thinking about installing a K&N (or similar) air filter. Are there any Focus owners out that that have tried one of these, and if so, has it improved your gas mileage at all?

Thanks, BC

Reply to
BC

i have a K&N drop in filter in my ZX3.. can't say it improved gas mileage.. it did give it a little more spunk though.. think i was getting 30 mpg on the highway and now it gets 27.5...thats at about 70mph...

troy

Reply to
TroY

Clogged air filters do not impair fuel mileage with newer cars, having fuel injectors and air flow metering. They only loose some power. Old carburettors however were very sensitive when the air filter got clogged as the fuel feed in the carburettor responds to pressure drop in the throat. When the filter is clogged, the engine trying to suck air from the filter would lower the pressure quite a lot extra in the carburettor.

More power and "spunk" will count for higher petrol consumption. Just don't press the righmost pedal so offensively, it's the best way to save fuel. /per

"TroY" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
per

Hi I went to Performance improvements in TO and tried to buy a drop in. The model in the KN catalogue for the ZTS would not fit? did you have any luck?

Reply to
Mark

Using K&N filters since ages, in different cars, it really worth the money, you just need one filter and clean/re-oil it perhaps every

40000-50000 km. I don't think it improves gas mileage at all, perhaps the engine has a little bit more power at lower revs, but this might be only a feeling. In the long run you save some money and all of Formula 1 is running those, so it can't be bad.;))
Reply to
Michael Heiming

-----

There's only one part number/application for all Focus models, including the SVT.....they all use the same air filter.

-Mike.

Reply to
Michael Keller

I have installed a drop in unit on 2002 ZX5. It fits really snug. Got mine from Canadian Tire.

Reply to
Michel Bernier