Black Oil following Serivce

Hi all

Can someone tell me if it is normal for your oil to go jet black following my car running for approx 4 miles after a service. I have a focus TDCI and it was the first service it had - 11200 miles. It just seems a little weird that the oil would change colour so quickly. Any enlightment greatly received.

Regards

Nick

Reply to
Nick Harrison

Yes it's normal - if you get used engine oil from a diesel on your fingers (not recommended - it'll take days for the staining to wear off!!), you'll understand why the small amount of old oil left in the engine after draining turns the new oil dark so quickly - it has similar properties to black dye.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark Allen

In message , Nick Harrison writes

I can't comment on the Focus TDCi specifically but I've previously owned a couple of diesels for a total of ten years and the oil does blacken very quickly from new.

If you said you had a petrol engine then I'd be suspicious but even before reading your post, I knew with reasonable confidence from the subject line that it would be about a diesel engine.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

This is rather disconcerting, but perfectly normal! I remember on my TDCi's first service, it was reasonably clear after driving about a mile up the road to work, but after the 30 mile drive home it was black. My Astra DI was the same. Mind you it burnt about a litre and a half of oil between services anyway! In case anyone asks, my TDCi burnt about half a litre before its first service, and nothing noticable after that.

G.

Reply to
Gary McClean

In alt.autos.ford.focus Nick Harrison :

That's fine, you should start to wonder if it wouldn't get black pretty fast. It just shows the capability of good oil keeping dirt in abeyance.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

A diesel engine will turn its oil black quickly.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee