Careful what you wish for ('05 Focus)

Note: Europe exclusive post follows.

Having taken my '03 Focus TDCi Estate in for a service, I am driving around in an '05 Focus 5-door as a replacement for the day. So far, it has simply reinforced my impression that I made the best choice in the Golf class when I bought my car two years ago, and also that progress is not necessarily a good thing. Certainly from the outside it looks a little more upscale, although as a mini-Mondeo it has lost the feline appeal of the original front end, and the interior design may look higher quality to some due to its absolutely conservative layout, but to me the materials look no better and I anyway liked the "new edge" funkiness of the old Focus and its more organic curves. Certain ergonomic details are better now (finally you can aim the vents from the AC system to blow on the driver...) but others are a step back (the radio cluster is harder to read, the gauges have more glare in direct sunlight, the steering wheel feels horrible with its cheesy faux-aluminum inserts, the armrest is useless and obtrusive).

What really annoys me is the industry-wide trend towards bloated cars. The new Focus is 14cm wider than the old one. This is substantial, and completely changes the character of the car. It may be a mini-Mondeo in concept, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two come out within cms of each other under the tape measure. Those 14cm are felt on narrow, twisty B-roads. Where I could toss my car into curves and place it perfectly on the road, with the new Focus I was all too aware of the shrubbery whizzing by a hair-breadth from my offside mirror. Sharing the B-roads with opposing traffic, especially trucks, is a bit dodgy now. Okay, it's not a Mercedes S-class, but it has lost its playful character due to its newly found corpulence. I'm sure the extra size pays dividends for back-seat passengers, although my subjective opinion is that you wouldn't really notice in a back-to-back comparison unless you measured. To me, it's just extra flab which has diluted the quality of the quintessential hot hatch. This steady evolution from cars the size of the old 205 GTi to the current Golf GTI is disturbing for the few like me who value a quick, compact back-road tool, but it's what the market wishes.

Oh, and it didn't fit in my garage at home.

The other immediate killer for me is the feel of the controls. Ford has followed the industry trend towards lighter and lighter controls. The clutch has no resistance and engages high off the floor, while the brakes are over-boosted and grabby. The shifter is lighter, but lacks the positive engagement of the old box and is placed quite low relative to the steering wheel. The Focus maintains its great steering, and ultimate grip is superb, but the rest of the control interfaces are a let-down and detract from the driving experience (for me).

It's actually a pleasant change to not be yearning for the newest model. Can't wait to get my old faithful back from service.

Reply to
Stephen F.

Fiesta?

Blimey, I thought the '03 model was pretty wide! It's the mirrors - I've scraped mine on the garage entrance, unfortunately I can't fold them back and then see to reverse properly!

Interesting post, thanks!

Reply to
Chris Game

Funny the way the Fiesta has grown to the size (almost) of the old Escort/Focus, the Polo is now the size of the old Golf etc. The new ST is interesting, but it's sad how such a lot of motor still creates underwhelming performance.

Physically it would fit, but getting into my garage involves backing up while turning a sharp corner. It's threading the needle at the best with the '03 car, and I can barely squeeze my skinny ass out of the car after I've parked. I would probably have to come out the back hatch with the new one!

The mirrors on the new Focus, by the way, are crap. Small, and it's not possible to adjust them far enough outwards to properly eliminate the blind spot. Car manufacturers seem to think we want to see the side of the car in the mirrors for comfort...

Reply to
Stephen F.

Thanks for the comments, Stephen, but I remind our North American readers that this is not the same car that we buy here. I'm not sure where he lives (is "ch" China?), but he evidently has the new European 2005 Focus, which is closer to the new Mazda3, whereas ours is just a slightly modified version of the 2000-2004 models. From everything I've read (including this post), I'm glad that Ford made this decision.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Hence the "Europe exclusive post" disclaimer at the start. :-)

CH is Switzerland. The size itself would certainly not be a problem anywhere in North America, even on the twistiest roads. It's a shame the newer North Amercian cars have also lost their edgy styling, but this is what most consumers want.

Reply to
Stephen F.

.ch is Switzerland. BTW, the new Focus is wider but it's all a matter of getting used to it. I own one for a month now and I had no problem with it being wider than my old Opel Astra.

-Nick

Reply to
Nick the Greek

Did you read my comments on Focus II in our local forum pages??? :)) You almost told in english what I have been saying in turkish for the last three months. :)) I am sharing your thoughts and opinions. I have to add that the interior finish of Focus II is not better than the previous model if not worse. I want to copy and paste your comments to our local forum pages if you allow me to do so.

Reply to
TheSurgeon

"Stephen F." wrote

Can't seem to wake up this morning. If I had I would have noticed that the University of Bern is not in China :

Reply to
Dave Gower

Hi Stephen.

Was the '05 you got for the day a TDCi, and if so what did you think of it compared to your own?

Gary.

Reply to
Gary McClean

.ch = Confederation Helvetica (Switzerland) .cn = China

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

What were saying in Turkish?

Ahmet

'01 Focus Wagon

Turkey

Reply to
dragon

If you want you can sign up with our forums and read and contribute on this and other simlar topics.

TheSurgeon

Out of curiosity, just how big do they make garages in Switzerland? Obviously we in NA are just used to large vehicles (the Focus is considered to a small or compact car). Even the smallest of garages in Canada can accommodate a NA Focus and most any other car. Min. garage door size is

6'x7' high (1.8m X 2.1m) ie a double wide man door although that is extremely rare and the more typical is an 8' or 9' wide x 7' high door and single garages are 10'-16' wide.

A lot of people have 9'x8' high doors for their SUVS and 3/4 ton pickups, and 2 and 3 car garages are not uncommon.

Reply to
Roarmeister

In Europe, people sometimes *live* in that amount of space! :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sheer Luxury! When I were a lad...

Reply to
Chris Game

[]

Nice one Chris - LOL. I wonder how many non English got that one!

Reply to
Donald Gray

Well I'm in Canada and I lived in a shoe box Geoff.>

Reply to
GeoffP

In message , GeoffP wrote

Next you will be telling us that you cut down trees wear high heels, suspenders and a bra

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Reply to
Alan

=== And I walked uphill both ways when going to and coming from school. Geoff.

Reply to
GeoffP

You kids had it soft. We had to climb mountains to do school. Barefoot, in the snow.

And we liked it.

Reply to
Tony Wesley