Cooling fan on all time

I have a 52 reg 1.6 focus. I have just noticed that the cooling fans come on as soon as I start from cold, and stay on until I switch off the engine. I thought maybe one or both the relays had stuck on, but I've checked them with a meter and that is not the case. The temperature gauge is showing normal all the time once it warms up. I'm hoping it's not the ECU as I believe that is costly to replace. Is it a common fault, has anyone any advice please? Ed

Reply to
CHARLES REAR

Are you sure you are not operating your HVAC system in the defrost mode?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In message , CHARLES REAR wrote

One or both fans?

One of the fans is associated with the air conditioning. The air conditioning comes on automatically if you adjust the heater/blower controls to direct air at the windscreen - its used to remove moisture from the incoming air stream On my 2001 UK model the green LED in the switch doesn't come on when operating in this mode although the A/C is actually on

Reply to
Alan

Thanks so much guys, especially Alan for the full explanation. I had been having the airflow set to demist lately, I just went out to try it and it's OK now. Sigh of relief! I couldn't find anything in the handbook or Haynes manual about it. Thank god for this ng. Ed

Reply to
CHARLES REAR

great, thanks for the explanation. i was confused, by the using the heater it raised my fuelcomsuption ~5%. and it is the demoisturing turning the AC on. /Jorgen

Reply to
Jorgen Moquist