CVT? What does it stand for?

Hi.

I just what the CTV stands for on some Ford cars? Is it just Fords name for their own semi-automatic? or is it just a gimmick like the Vvti on some Toyotas to do with engine valves?

Thanks for your help

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

It's an industry-wide name - stands for Constant Velocity Transmission. It uses a system of segmented metal belts between variable pulleys to give a steadily changing ratio, rather than a set of discrete ones as normal. It's definitely fully automatic.

It's not new nor unique to Ford. The first car I recall was the Dutch DAF, back in the 60s or 70s I think. Subaru has offered it for some time, and now so does Toyota, Honda and several others.

I haven't driven one but I have read that it sounds weird at first because the engine stays at a constant speed with a constant throttle setting, regardless of speed. However, it does allow the engine to rev up when needed for power and then shift into a high gear for cruising. It apparently offers a slight performance and economy advantage over regular automatics.

There's lots of web links. Do a search.

Reply to
Dave Gower

[snip description of how a CVT works]

I more or less agree with what you said, except for what the acronym CVT stands for, it is actually "Continuously Variable Transmission".

Reply to
Mark Olson

So you can just stick these things in D and off you go? No clutch or anything like on a manual?

I've not seen any Toyotas with this. Don't they just refer to their automatics as Auto or Free-Tronic for the semi-auto?

John

Reply to
John

Constant Velocity Transmission I believe

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

I test drove a Saturn Vue that had CVT. Kinda like taking off in a small plane or accelerating in speed boat. Not a ton of off-the-line torque though. John

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
badraptor

"Mark Olson" wrote

Serves me right for not checking before I type.

Reply to
Dave Gower