Engine running rough

Morning all, I have a 2001 Focus SE Wagon with the twin cam motor and 127,000 miles. The last 2-3 days it has been acting like a cylinder is not always firing. At speeds at or above 50mph the engine light will start flashing and a vibration starts. I am over due for an oil change and just changed the spark plugs last night with Motorcraft double platinum plugs gapped to 0.050". My gas comsumption is higher then normal. Also, here in Michigan the weather since Saturday has been between 10 degrees F and -10 F. Any advice is appreciated.

Finn

Reply to
mbna_assurant

In message , mbna snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Coil pack.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks Paul. Not doubting you, but I would think that if the coil pack failed that the engine wouldn't run at all.

Finn

Reply to
mbna_assurant

European cars with the Zetec engine have a coil pack that consists of two coils. Cylinders 1 and 4 fire together, as do cylinders 2 and 3. The plugs fire once per revolution on each cylinder. Every other one of the firings is not needed, hence the system's name of "wasted spark".

Coil pack failure is common; it is often the cause of intermittent misfires on all Zetecs.

Things may be different your side of the pond!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks. It does appear the coil is the issue. Difficulty in changing? Any directions, tools needed, etc is appreciated.

Finn

Reply to
mbna_assurant
[...]

Nope, straightforward. (On European cars at least.)

Make certain you know where each HT lead goes; disconnect them, the coil wiring plug and the suppressor. Undo the three Torx screws and remove.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You guys rock! Put the new coil in at lunch and she runs like a Swiss watch. Thanks everyone.

Finn

Reply to
mbna_assurant