took a road trip

Drove from SE VA to Upstate NY and back the last two days. Had to take the 12-year-old niece back home after she and my wife were at odds after only 10 days of visiting.

97 Camry 4, 127,000 miles. Drove between 70-85 MPH most of the way except for traffic snarls. Had the AC on the whole time. Averaged 34 MPG on the highway at those speeds and Pocono mountains of PA. 1200 miles total and around 10 hours each way. I think that's pretty good considering the age of the car and the fact that the plugs probably haven't been changed yet. I know they haven't been changed since 60K miles which is when I bought it.

My only complaint was climbing those mountains of I-81 where it felt somewhat gutless. Trying to get back on the highway where the grade was uphill wasn't very easy either. I would have to shut the AC off for a short while to get some power back. Still, I was pleasantly pleased with its performance all around.

Reply to
badgolferman

I know what you mean on that stretch of I81.

I'll do almost anything to skip Washington and Baltimore on my trips up to Mass.

My 92 Corolla makes it up all those grades just fine, but accelerating onto the Interstate is a bit slow.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Scott I have been telling you for years Camrys and Corollas suck on the mountains of I-81. That road is UPHILL from Harrisburg all the way up through the Endless Mountains to NY. The Toyota dealer in Hazleton stocks mostly V6 Camrys for that reason

I was at Wilkes-Berre VA until this morning. The oriental doctor said you have a cataract. I said no I don't. He said YES you do. I said, NO I don't I have a 2006 Rincoln ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The easiest way to do that is to take the Chesapeake Bay/Bridge up the Eastern Shore through Rte 13 to Dover and maybe take the PA Turnpike and somehow end up in MA. If you want to go through Washington but skip Baltimore I found a new way that I had never taken before. After the 495 West Beltway of Washington take 270 North to State Rte 15 which will get you to I-83 in Harrisburg. That shortcut made a nice difference in mileage and aggravation of dealing with Baltimore's traffic and was 65 MPH speed limit for almost the whole way.

Reply to
badgolferman

Whay were you in Wilkes-Barre VA hospital? I thought you live in FL.

Reply to
badgolferman

LOL

My Corolla gets up all those mountains just fine.

The only time it is a tad slow is starting out from an On Ramp.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I used to live on the Eastern Shore (Tasley VA) many moons ago.

My last trip down from NJ to Florida, I took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Nice ride and a GREAT fish sandwich at the restaurant on the south island.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Mike Hunter trolled:

[top-posting deleted, unread]
Reply to
Realto Margarino

It looks like we have found another tolerant liberal.

Reply to
badgolferman

And another Net Nanny, as Scott remarked in another thread, that doesn't think we can take care of ourselves.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I live most of the time in Delaware but own homes in the Poconos, Outer Banks and Key West, as well. I am a WWII vet, hence the visits with other vets at the VA Hospital over in Wilkes-Berre when I'm up there ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Most houseguests are like fish....they tend to begin to stink after three or four days. Cut that figure in half for a twelve year old. Your wife is a model of forbearance!

Reply to
mack