focus 2000 ignition problem

Does anyone know of a class action suit to get involved with on this issue. I am paying out 600.00 today for the same thing. Ford tells me that this is not their problem becuase its considered normal wear. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Casemann27

Yeah. Be more specific. By "ignition" do you mean ignition switch? If so you are paying way too much. Mine cost $250 Canadian.

As to a class action suit, once your warrantee is expired, you pay the repairs. That's what you signed on your sales contract, and it will hold up in any court.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I would suggest talking to an attorney that deals with product liability background. If I assume you're in the USA it wouldn't be too hard to find a good lawyer to consider it as there are lots of victims out there. That was about the only problem I didn't have with my 2000 wagon...but I've seen lots on here. You must complain and send letters to any agency involved. If no one ever does anything nothing will ever get done. I wonder if the other car makers would consider four years to failure to be "normal wear" ? I've had cars for MANY more years and none of this bullshit. Good luck... Linda (PS - my other cars were (90% of them) Fords so I won't buy that argument from them...and I carry a minimum of keys on my key ring!)

Reply to
HbgpodLW

"HbgpodLW" wrote

I doubt that. I have had an ignition lock problem, and I'm sure there are a few others, but most of the recent mentions have been from one lying troll, who I recently unmasked. I see no evidence that this is a particularly common problem.

A number of years ago there was a bit brew about Ford ignition switches that would overheat and catch fire when the vehicle was left overnight. There was talk about class-action suits then too. But for all the fuss, the actual number of proven cases of damage was very small. Rumours spread fast, particularly when people smell money.

Ford has a good track record of dealing with defects on early North American Foci, including the special ten-year warrantee extension on fuel pumps. If there was a significant problem with ignition locks, they would have covered this too.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Very Interesting , what lying troll is that "Shylock". You recently unmasked? - give every one a break. Who elected you the newsgroup cop???

You sure like to demonize or run down any poster to this group who says anything bad about Ford, why is that?

Could it be that you are a troll, you only respond when some post is detrimental to the Focus so you respond to minimize any concerns. Or could it be you are a person who buys a car, has a lot of problems with it and cannot bring themselves to face the fact that they made a mistake in buying it. So they keep professing that there is nothing wrong with these cars.

If you knew anything about Ford Focus cars, (I doubt if you are in the automotive business), you would be aware that the ignition lock failures are a very common problem on 2000-2002 Focus cars, as well as the DPFE sensor, water leaks into the car through the cabin filter moulding etc etc. Ford will not recall the Focus for the ignition lock because it is not a safety problem - go figure.

The dealers are very aware of it.

Ford does not! have a very good track record of dealing with defects on Ford Focus cars period. In 2001, for over a year they denied that there was a problem with rear brakes squealing, or the premature wear out of front disc pads. Ford customer service , when called, will still say that they have never heard of any ignition lock up problems with the 2000-2001 Ford Focus or any other problems. And the warrantee with the fuel pump is misleading! Ford will only replace it once. So if the fuel pump is replaced in the 10 year period and packs in later, the owner now pays for a new one.

For those of you who would like to find out about the "this is not a common problem", a web site you might want to check is

and run a search onignition lock problems and any other problems. This web site is all aboutthe Ford Focus and has may postings on problems with the Ford Focus as wellas some of the good things, accessories and add ons.. Not a Troll, never been one and never will.

"I doubt that. I have had an ignition lock problem, and I'm sure there are a few others, but most of the recent mentions have been from one lying troll, who I recently unmasked. I see no evidence that this is a particularly common problem.

A number of years ago there was a bit brew about Ford ignition switches that would overheat and catch fire when the vehicle was left overnight. There was talk about class-action suits then too. But for all the fuss, the actual number of proven cases of damage was very small. Rumours spread fast, particularly when people smell money.

Ford has a good track record of dealing with defects on early North American Foci, including the special ten-year warrantee extension on fuel pumps. If there was a significant problem with ignition locks, they would have covered this too.

Reply to
Eight Ball

Well for one, I post under my own name, rather than hide behind an alias. And no, if you look back you will see that I do not run down every complainer. Many complaints are legitimate, and at times I have been one, and that's what this newsgroup is for. Our lying troll frequently uses free or cheap services like Yahoo, and often comes on strong like this. Furthermore, he often chooses a new alias, which have no previous newsgroup posts on a Google groups search. Like yours. Hmmm...

Reply to
Dave Gower

The ignition switch problem is well known.

Rob

Reply to
Basic Wedge

I agree with you and since it can be a real pain when it does happen I consider it a safety issue. Just waiting for a lawyer to get the right case concerning it and it will be front page news! Just like the gas tanks in the Pintos. I owned one and drove it but always kept one eye on my rear view mirror...and my boyfriend put a big sticker on back that said "Explodes on Impact". Stopped the tailgaters in Detroit... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Mine has gone out twice on my 2000 Focus. 25 months after I bought it, 25 months after having it replaced.

My tow truck driver said it seems to be a common problem among Focus and Contour. Known issue was the response from my service manager at the Dealer.

Reply to
BubbaG

Call Ford Consumer Relations and overwhelm them with complaints:

800-392-3673

Also go to:

BubbaG

You and "Caseman27" and "Eight Ball"? You'd better use your real names when you do - if they are in fact different.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I don't know how long you've been reading the newsgroup but I do know that more than one or even three people have complained about the ignition. I also know they replaced my whole ignition switch when all I had complained about was that the ring around the ignition would stick in and cause the bell to chime AFTER I took out the keys...not a failure but a pain... and it probably saved them from having to tow my car in when it would fail eventually. I had a 2000 Focus wagon that had numerous faults but I still bought a 2003 ZX5...and I still love it - so far. Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

The first time under warranty they replaced the cylinder. Now that it's not under warranty, they are attempting to charge $418.

I have no problem with wear and tear. But twice in 4 years is too much for something like this. They know it's a problem, a common one, they replaced the switch in the 2004.

I have consulted with an attorney who suggested the first course of action. File complaints, and tell them you have collected enough evidence that the problem is widespread and you will consult with an attorney.

Call Ford Consumer Relations and overwhelm them with complaints:

800-392-3673

Also go to:

And for you cynics who think that if someone dispenses sound advice they must be posting under different names, here's my real name.

Andrew Shubert Los Angeles, CA

Reply to
BubbaG

"HbgpodLW" wrote

Reply to
Dave Gower

Uhhh...the only exploding Pintos were the ones hit while at a dead stop by a van doing 60 mph...and in the travel lane of a freeway. I've always had the SENSE to get my car off the road or get out of the car. Actually I think it's Darwinism at work... I never had any kind of problem with my Pinto pony except for a leaking seal on the hatchback... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Since I have no idea where you live but there are some places I wouldn't have wanted my car to break down..."Call" a tow truck ??? I drive in some remote areas of PA. now where there are no people or cell phone service much less having a tow service available. It does make me wonder what soap operas you're watching? Mine never have any cars in them...humm? Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Let's set this straight. I am Jerry Goffman in San Bernardino, California. I have had to replace the ignition switch twice with dealers and twice with locksmiths. There were two other times the switch locked me out and i had to be towed. All the tow people say it is common. The last time AAA sent a locksmith who said it is so common he carrys extra Ford Focus ignition switches. I was so fed up he redid my switch by pulling out the pins so it will not happen again. But, that is what the last locksmith said after he overhauled the switch. This is a bullshit situation from the Ford Motor Company. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT BECAUSE OF THIS BULLSHIT. I have all the paperwork to prove this too.

Reply to
aflyguy25

Dave Gower you are an ASSHOLE. Jerry Goffman says so.

Reply to
aflyguy25

Jerry, don't go there, OK?

Reply to
Zweef®

Didn't all this blow-over a couple of months ago? I see no need to revisit the issue.

Rob

"aflyguy25" wrote ...

Reply to
Basic Wedge