BIO DIESEL

In the modern common rail diesel cars is it OK to top-up with veggie oil from the supermarket. I've always used a 20% mix as they do in France on older style engines but not with a HDI. It certainly helps the wear on the fuel pump. Thanks Mark

Reply to
mark taylor

France on

If you're going to do it that way you'll need to pay tax on the veggie oil that you use.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Yes, yes, yes, we all know that. Now can you actually answer the question?

To the OP:

Mark, FWIW, I've heard that veg oil *may* clog some parts of the fuelling system on more modern diesels. This is not definitive, though.

Reply to
Fr Jack

Both my X5 and Range Rover [they use the same engine] drivers hand books specifically warn against using bio-diesel. Of course you do know that bio-diesel in the form of rape methyl ester is different to veggie cooking oil. For my part, I would not risk using either in such expensive engines. Let someone else use it first. Let that person be you if you can afford the risk and let me know your experience after, say, 100k miles using it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

That's a so English remark, all over Europe they are pleased for it to be used to help the air quality, not to put more in the 'Help asylum seekers fund' Its about time the English started using the own brains and not be the Zombies the government want them to be. Thanks to Jack and Huw for their replies

Reply to
mark taylor

Yeah, air quality is nice, but not if it damages engines etc.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

I don`t know if these are still working, but I found these links a while ago...

Biodiesel Recipes from New Oil

Biodiesel Resources
Fat of the Land Recipe
The World of Biodiesel -- Biggest Biodiesel Links directory
Veg-Oil-Car.com - -Welcome

Colin Wilson

Peter, you appear to have returned to the group after being bollocked for being an utter wanker last time with your endless "pinking" threads. Unfortunately you don't appear to have learnt anything while you were away. This time you appear to be passing "knowledge" about things you know utterly f*ck all about.

If you don't know what you're on about, say f*ck all.

Reply to
Pete M

enlighten

^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't think that's very fair.

No, I'm not. It's not me who's passing it on, it was what somebody else mentioned in another part of the thread.

"I've heard that veg oil *may* clog some parts of the fuelling system on more modern diesels. This is not definitive, though."

I don't know whether it's true, but I don't think anybody else knows for sure whether it's true either. I know very little about running on veg oil etc., but if you read this thread you'll find that the only "knowledge" that I've brought here has been about taxes.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Ah, come on, there's no fun in that ;-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In news:fLC1e.807$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Yeah, but you're funny.. he's just... *dull*

Reply to
Pete M

Oh I dunno. He certainly stimulates a fair number of responses. I find the threads he's in fairly amusing from a bystanders point of view.

Reply to
Malc

Mark,

If you really want to "help the air quality" then the best thing you can really do is either walk or ride a bicycle everywhere. As you know, ANY engine that burns fuel throws pollution of some sort into the air.

As a matter of interest, I am a dedicated car driver, but I am prepared to use the correct fuel for my engine and I do NOT try and cut my running costs AND possibly wreck my engine by using a "mickey-mouse" fuel and then try and PRETEND that I am "doing my bit" for the ozone layer.

Also remember the huge amount of air pollution that is caused during the manufacturing process of the parts that you may have to replace on wrecked engine - especially if they are made in the 'states or the far east.

So, may I ask your REAL reasons are for using "veggie oil" - is it to protect the air quality or just to cut your running costs? Please answer honestly.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I've had a fair few people describe me as "funny".

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I am looking into this, as it appears my old 2.1 TD will work better on Bio-Diesel than mineral diesel.

Can't find enough information on the 'transesterification' process needed though.

Anybody got any good links on how this process is achieved on a small scale so I could try some.

And yes of course I will pay the duty, this is not a tax dodge etc, etc......

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

there are manufacturer bulletins regarding the use of biodiesel in common rail equipped engines and its warranty implications, to be fair I've yet to see a problem I could specifically attribute to the use of biodiesel on one of these, however I did used to work on an old 1.8 diesel escort that used to run on veg oil, the guy had a catering business so used to start up on diesel and then swap over to veg once it had warmed up. It used to suffer with the stop solenoid rubber plunger swelling up and jamming in either the on or off position every few months, he used to tolerate it and have a new one fitted once he started having problems based on the fact the car cost him almost nothing to run.

Reply to
Spark

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "mark taylor" saying something like:

Firstly, as has been said, that's not BD. I've been running a '01 Transit (not common rail) on BD for the past 20,000 miles and have not met any problems yet. Various weather-related probs with the fuel; ie, it goes like butter in the cold, so I have to run a 30% dinodiesel mix in the winter.

As far as running your CR diesel on 20% veggie goes, I don't see any probs, but for an experienced answer you might like to look at some of the veggie oil forums...

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nik&Andy" saying something like:

Start from there; there's loads of it around and refer to the list I posted above.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

WOW, That's my weekend taken care of :) - Thanks Dave.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

What has paying tax got to do with engine damage? Or has your mother told you, if you get caught a big man from the ministry will smash your engine with a lump hammer?

He asked about engine damage and you bleated about tax.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar