Ford Focus noise when clutch up and no throttle

I have a Ford Focus zetec estate 1596cc (1999, 130 000 miles). It makes a noise - rattly, grindy sort of noise(sounds like front offside) - when on the road. You notice it when coasting (foot off accelerator) but it goes when clutch pedal is depressed. Also, it slows right down with road speed as you come to a halt.

Three garages have been consulted - two of them Ford dealers. They want to start replacing parts and possibly removing transmission and clutch just to see if it cures it without finding out the cause for sure first.

Any sugestions? It is bad enough for me to think it needs fixing rather than just living with it. One other thing: it seemed to develop suddenly rather than gradually over time.

Reply to
Mike2

I owned a 2003 SVT that developed the same problem. The dealer told me that it was the flywheel. They changed the flywheel twice and the proble was still there. They took the clutch assembly apart at least 4 times nothing helped and it was definetly getting worse at the end. The dealer called the Ford Rep and they decided that they were going to give me a new car. I had 18,000 miles on the 2003 and ended up with a 2004 SVT with 43 miles on it. They wanted me to pay the $800.00 difference however they ended up waiving the price difference and I had no out of pocket expense for the new car. Kudos to Ford and Hoffman Ford of East Hartford CT for standing behind their customers. Don't let the dealer BS you. My new car has no rattle at all and I was experiencing the same exact problems that you have with my 2003. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Reply to
LudeDog