Ford Focus 04: Noise when moving off

I've got a 2004 Ford Focus with 22,000 miles on the clock. When moving off from stationery (whether in 1st or reverse) I get a noise when coming off the clutch. The noise is hard to describe - it's like a groaning / whining sound.

It's been making the noise for about 2 yrs or so, but is getting worse. It might be worse when the car's cold.

A local garage suggested thrust bearings - does that sound right? If so - does that mean a new clutch? Also - the noise was first noticed by Ford when it was under warranty - but wasn't properly diagnosed - I'm assuming Ford won't be interested as it's over a year out of warranty.

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

Yeah...thrust bearing would be my first bet followed by input shaft bearing if you're unlucky.

Ford won't be interested anyway as a clutch is a consumable.

Reply to
Conor

But I'd have a go at them, given that the problem was reported before it was out of warranty.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Clutches are consumables the same as brake pads and filters.

Reply to
Conor

Engine mount - flexible exhaust section?

Reply to
John

Release bearing isn't though, as it's part of a concentric slave cylinder on Focuses from what I remember.

Reply to
moray

Pls forgive my ignorance - if it's the thrust bearing does that mean a new clutch, or is it separate? (I did a quick google but couldn't quite work it out).

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

the thrust bearing is a seperate bit to the clutch itself, but it is the same work to get at, if it is the type with a thrust bearing built onto the release cylinder (sounds like it is) then it is an expensive part (about a

100 or more) the labour to change it will be about 300 at a guess. it would be usual to change the clutch at the same time unless it was perfect.

I would be surprised if it was the thrust bearing from your description. my first query would be the clutch center plate cushion drive and (if it has one) the dual mass flywheel

Reply to
Mrcheerful

To answer the DMF question... is the car a petrol or a diesel, and what engine size is it?

David Hearn