Re: Ford Focus Clutch Noise Part 2 Audio File

If it only occurs with the clutch then it is probably clutch or

>transmission related, the noise I was expecting is more like a short >beep, your noise is much longer, and has qualities of vibration, like >air blowing through a narrow, flexible gap (such as a split in rubber) >Hard to know from a none too clear sound recording, the engine noise >obscures the sound quite well.

Indirect observations.

After having a new clutch fitted in the Meriva I heard a noise that seemed to only occur when you fully depressed the pedal (eg, thrust bearing) but that seemed to go away on it's own.

I also noticed a 'clonk' under the floor as the load was put on or taken off the engine that turned out to be a loose engine steady bar.

I diagnosed a noise and symptoms (lack of power) on my mates Transit as being 'something to do with the turbo' and that turned out to be a split turbo hose.

As you say, with the engine often moving about more under different load conditions than most people would realise and that can often account for all sort sorts of strange / intermittent noises and rattles etc.

With Phil's noise it does sound like it could be directly related to the clutch itself, like a friction plate resonance of some sort?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

An elderly cavalier came in many years ago, all was fine if you drove it really gently, but too much accelleration and it lost power dramatically, you could build up to a good speed, but not get there quickly. Turned out to have a cracked brake vacuum pipe at the manifold, as the engine twisted the crack opened, running steady and it was OK

Reply to
MrCheerful

Slightly OT, but I had a truly weird problem on an old Victor 101 which had all my mates baffled, but I eventually diagnosed and it had some parallel elements. When I bought the car, it was evident that the engine mountings were f***ed, so I replaced them. Once I had done that, it was impossible to pull off smoothly without kangarooing. But you could pull off fine in reverse. On grovelling underneath, it became apparent that at some stage someone had replaced the bell-housing. I had a mechanical clutch linkage, with a reaction bar. The bell housing was designed for a hydraulic clutch, and the reaction bar was fitted to a slave cylinder stud which was in the wrong place. When you engaged the clutch in forward drive, the engine rocked so as to engage the clutch more firmly, resulting in positive feedback. In reverse, the engine rocks the other way giving negative feedback. By making up an adaptor fitted on the slave cylinder studs to locate the reaction bar in the right place, I was able fix it. (Before I replaced the engine mountings, the engine was unable to rock far enough to cause the problem).

A very satisfying problem to analyse theoretically; when the mechanical fix worked perfectly it was a bonus.

Reply to
newshound

I like it!

Reply to
MrCheerful

;-)

So an early form of 'eco'. ;-)

Do you remember the 1.1 Mk3 Escort 'Economy' (was it) that had 3 (vacuum driven) lights on the dash, red, amber and green, representing how heavy your right foot was being?

If you kept it on the green you could get over 50 mpg but you got there very slowly. It wasn't on the green very often. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Agreed ... it's good when it works out like that.

Same as the little garage in South Wales that was about the 5th people to have a look into why our 2000E kept cutting out when under load for a while ... and who knew there was a (blocked) filter on the end of the fuel line in the tank.

And isn't it nice when you know a fault (from personal experience - common fault) and apparently predict the cause and solution for someone else, without even seeing the vehicle. ;-)

And that's what many of us hope we will be able to tap into when asking for help here (and often do). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

New variant on my Jazz Hybrid, the speedo display goes from dark blue through turquoise to dark green. What I find most satisfying is when you have had to slow down, re-engaged cruise has a very light touch and keeps in the green better than I can with a light foot.

Reply to
newshound

Talking of 'light touches ' ... A mate who is a Private Pilot said that for the first few seconds of a launch off an aircraft carrier it's all pre-set / automated as most pilots wouldn't be able to react fast enough. In fact, after locking the throttle on full and having an extra bar moved into place to prevent the acceleration making your hand / it move, you hang onto a handle on the cockpit to show you aren't touching the stick. ;-)

I bet it's frightening the first time you do it (along with banging the throttle to full as you land!). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m