ford springs

A NEW investigation was opened by NHTSB because of the number of failures on taurus coil springs. It is not just taurus, either. Do the research and you find focus, contour, windstar front coil springs breaking. It is SO common, apparently, that the front coil springs are not even covered by extended warranties. There was a post here in april about it and soemone told the poster they "had not heard of the problem"....it is a TERRIBLE problem with ford, especially taurus, windstar and more than a few focus.

If youu buy a used one the dealer will not even TELL you that they have a high failure rate. Supposedly new owners were informed, though no recall was issued.

Reply to
MD

I was the one that posted back in April about having the broken front coil spring on a 2002 ZX5 that was replaced under warranty. Back in 1997 I had purchased a 1993 Mercury Sable S/W and within a month one of my front coil springs snapped. Ford had a recall on these springs which I was finally reimbursed for the repair. In conjunction with this recall they installed spring catches to prevent the broken spring from rubbing on the tire that would eventually lead to tire failure.

Reply to
Michel Bernier